going rate every other day tuctuc motobike

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

going rate every other day tuctuc motobike

Post by whereami »

what is going rate for a foreigner living in phnom penh to hire 3times a week driver? picks me up in the morning and takes me on 3 or 4 errands , totaling maybe 10 to 15 km with around 4hours of naptimefor driver (ill shop , gym , lunch , few beers) in between while im fecking around.....please give me slightly higher than average estimation.....and ill pay him dailly , 3 times a week.....same start time everytime....any numbers ? thanks in advance ! tuctuc and bike estimates both greatly appreciated
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: going rate every other day tuctuc motobike

Post by beaker »

tuk tuk $20.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
L'Algerino
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by L'Algerino »

15 to 20$ a day
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The Exnet App now has tuk-tuks (gas powered) at a rate of 4000 riel/km.

Whichever tuk-tuk you take, if he is having nap time while you're having lunch or in the gym, you have to pay for the nap time as well.
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm The Exnet App now has tuk-tuks (gas powered) at a rate of 4000 riel/km.

Whichever tuk-tuk you take, if he is having nap time while you're having lunch or in the gym, you have to pay for the nap time as well.
thanks !i had problems loading that appliance but i think ill try a little harder and go that route or even ubers , cabs , ect ......looks like lots less hassle
L'Algerino
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by L'Algerino »

true finding the right tuktuk driver can be a bit of a hassle but can also have a lot of benefits.
If you're new in town you can always ask him where to get what, he can act as your translator, can prevent you from being overcharged (in some cases even make sure you pay the local price), be a backup in a bar fight, etc, etc...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The going rate for tuktuks is $10 per half day, but a half day is measured as any time before lunch break, or any time after lunch break, within reason. That is, 1pm to 3am is not reasonable. $20 will get you a full day and evening, but do the right thing and let your driver rest in the middle of the day, and feed/water him throughout the day. Once you've used the same driver a few times and treated him well, it will change to "up to you" - this is not a point at which you start short-changing, or he'll magically become unavailable when you need him or have booked him.

We had a homestay tenant (young American bit... princess) who got to "up to you" stage with a moto driver. So she stopped paying him, and then bought him an ice-cream on the morning she left the country. He clearly expected more, although I think he felt at least partially paid in body contact.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

The point to remember is this is how they make a living so if you pay a reasonable price (as mentioned a couple of times) they will be happy to work with you again. Up to you is not an invitation to short change them. A good Tuk Tuk driver is worth extra money if he is reliable and is a good driver. At the end of your period of use give him a tip ( not " be good to your mother") and he will always look out for you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Arget wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:32 pm The point to remember is this is how they make a living so if you pay a reasonable price (as mentioned a couple of times) they will be happy to work with you again. Up to you is not an invitation to short change them. A good Tuk Tuk driver is worth extra money if he is reliable and is a good driver. At the end of your period of use give him a tip ( not " be good to your mother") and he will always look out for you.
Yep. As we found today, a good driver at the "up to you" stage of relationship is worth the extra money, and will come when asked even during the Pchum Ben period, when no tuktuks are to be seen on the road (at least in our area).
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic