Hillary Clinton's new memoir compares Trump's 'war on truth' to Orwell's 1984

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

The former presidential candidate’s new book, What Happened, tries to come to terms with her election defeat and likens Trump to the dystopian classic

Sabrina Siddiqui and David Smith in Washington
Tuesday 12 September 2017 05.28 BST Last modified on Tuesday 12 September 2017 07.40 BST

Hillary Clinton uses her new memoir to draw parallels between Donald Trump’s “war on truth” and the Soviet Union and George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four.

“Attempting to define reality is a core feature of authoritarianism,” the defeated presidential candidate writes in What Happened, published on Tuesday. “This is what the Soviets did when they erased political dissidents from historical photos. This is what happens in George Orwell’s classic novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, when a torturer holds up four fingers and delivers electric shocks until his prisoner sees five fingers as ordered.”

The goal is to make you question logic and and reason and to sow mistrust, Clinton writes. “For Trump, as with so much he does, it’s about simple dominance.”

She argues that Trump has taken “the war on truth” to a whole new level. “If he stood up tomorrow and declared that the Earth is flat, his counselor Kellyanne Conway might just go on Fox News and defend it as an ‘alternative fact,’ and too many people would believe it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... trump-1984
See crook!!!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Hillary Clinton's new memoir compares Trump's 'war on truth' to Orwell's 1984

Post by cptrelentless »

If the Dems had stuck someone other than Hizza up as a candidate, even a comical actual donkey, they would have won.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Hillary Clinton's new memoir compares Trump's 'war on truth' to Orwell's 1984

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm If the Dems had stuck someone other than Hizza up as a candidate, even a comical actual donkey, they would have won.

The whole thing is an allusion anyway.
See crook!!!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm If the Dems had stuck someone other than Hizza up as a candidate, even a comical actual donkey, they would have won.

The whole thing is an allusion anyway.
Maybe after the War.....................................

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I think AP was alluding to something more than just an illusion.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

As much as I consider Trump a National Embarrasment, Hilary is probably the last one who should comment about Orwellian. Few have been as savvy when it comes to manipulating facts and context over the years as she has. She ran a horrible campaign and was a horrible candidate who approached her presumed Presidency as an entitlement rather than something to be earned. Yet to her she lost because of Misogny. It is always about identity politics with her. Never about accountability.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

I find it interesting that the term "Deep State" has been used more and more by mainstream media the last few months. I don't know who said it, but one astute political analyst likened the Democrat and Republicans parties as being the left and right wings of the same airplane that is already heading to a predetermined destination. Pretty smart, that guy is. The political system is rigged, and Trump is the closest thing to an elected president that we'll ever see again. Is he perfect? Far from it, but even the most brain-dead of the democrats knows that Hi(LIAR)y was the worst candidate possible for the already dying democratic party.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Ronny wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:35 pm I find it interesting that the term "Deep State" has been used more and more by mainstream media the last few months. I don't know who said it, but one astute political analyst likened the Democrat and Republicans parties as being the left and right wings of the same airplane that is already heading to a predetermined destination. Pretty smart, that guy is. The political system is rigged, and Trump is the closest thing to an elected president that we'll ever see again. Is he perfect? Far from it, but even the most brain-dead of the democrats knows that Hi(LIAR)y was the worst candidate possible for the already dying democratic party.

I think the "Deep State" references are partly driven by the elevation in the public cosciousness of things like Wikileaks (some say a Putin front others say a CIA front) and the role people like James Comey have had in appearing to damage both Hilary and Trump. The introduction of the term "fake news" (even though mass media has lied to the public for years) also raises the question of who is "pulling the strings". The net effect is to cause people to mistrust and this results in them just choosing what tribe they want to join (red or blue) and following that side's propaganda as if it were religious scripture .... or simply tuning out of the political process altogether. Neither effect is good for a healthy democracy, as it results in a less informed public. Perhaps this is by design. The already converted and the die hard atheists are both easier to control than those who axk hard questions and demand real answers.

Your airplane analogy is a good one. Our two party system offers us the illusion of choice but the reality is we have one airplane to fly and it seems more or less on auto-pilot. Sure there are some differences in policies of wealth distribution and deliberately inflamed identity politics ... but the core remains the same. Neither party is serious about political reform, financial reform, nor do they differ significantly on foreign policy. The other stuff is to keep the masses excited and distracted from the core issues facing the country.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

I have never known anyone who has ever read any of Hillary Clinton's books.I would be very surprised to find that anyone would consider Hillary Clinton as qualified to judge anyone else's credibility.I suppose that sometime during the next year or two a jury will be able to determine how believable she is.The FBI has finally started an investigation on her.I imagine that if she does get indicted and is forced to testify she will suddenly become ill and unable to appear until sometime, after every government witness who is set to testify against her has fallen ill and passed or had a terrible accident or committed suicide.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Without her, he would not have had a chance.
Stupid DNC
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic