Fun facts about Chinese neighbours

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Re: Fun facts about Chinese neighbours

Post by Rain Dog »

"frank lee bent"
no one would say these things about Singaporeans or the many Overseas Chinese settled in other countries.
these are national traits of a single country composed of quite a few different ethnic groups.

^ This.

The problem is that when people start generalizing about those "nasty rude Chinese" they are never clear about who they are talking about.

The Chinese race or various Chinese ethnic groups (as the case may be) are prevalent in all SEA and dominate economies in many SEA countries. I always say if you do not like Chinese you should probably not live in Asia (Japan and Korea being exceptions). Over my many years in Asia, I have had Chinese clients, employees, lawyers, doctors and girlfriends ... most of whom would put many of our caucasian expats to shame when it comes to matters of politeness.

There IS a real problem with a segment of middle class and novoue riche Chinese who emigrate from the mainland ... thinking they are special by being able to emigrate ... and are totally oblivious to those around them. They are people totally uninterested in learning about their new culture and care nothing about anyone outside their circle. They can be exceptionally annoying.

When i lived in Singapore, there was a growing strain of xenophobia as the non-native born population had exceeded the native born. Whites were resented and Indians and blacks looked down upon. But the REAL issues that got your typical Singaporean xenophobe worked up were those "mainlanders who never respected Singaporean ways". My understanding is that Hong Kongers view these noveau riche Chinese immigrants with the same contempt.

While I always cringe when I see Chinese bashing posts on Asia-Centric forums, I can certainly sympathise with RozzieOz ,having seen this situation many times over.

On the bright side they have helped the world appreciate us "Ugly American" visitors more. :thumb:
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Apart from SOHO (chinatown) the only time you come across chinese people in London is in a betting shop. :stir:

charlie
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:18 pm Apart from SOHO (chinatown) the only time you come across chinese people in London is in a betting shop. :stir:

charlie
Meh ... you left out the Chinese Restaurant and Laundry service stereotypes
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 am The Chinese are a nation not a race. The behaviour is cultural, not racial.
Thanks for making that distinction. "Brewer" is obviously too stupid to know the difference...
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Arget wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:38 am Oh I apologise for calling the people who took over the few tables left at a restaurant where we had a booking as rude arrogant fuckers because i was unaware that being pushy ,verbally abusive to the Khmer staff, taking up twice the space allocated to the tables with bags and assorted luggage and generally being arse holes was acceptable behaviour in their own cuntry.

So... it was MORE than just not lining up and waiting for a table. In that case, they were rude, arrogant fuckers... as anyone would be no matter what their race or nationality.
You could be next.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Rain Dog wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:00 pm There IS a real problem with a segment of middle class and novoue riche Chinese who emigrate from the mainland...

Many are travelling for the first time in their lives and simply don't understand some of things we take for granted -
:facepalm:
You could be next.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 pm
Many are travelling for the first time in their lives and simply don't understand some of things we take for granted -

:facepalm:
Quite possibly the most cognizant comment I have seen on any discussion about the Chinese invasion for a long time :thumb:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Rain Dog wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:00 pm
The Chinese race or various Chinese ethnic groups (as the case may be) are prevalent in all SEA and dominate economies in many SEA countries. I always say if you do not like Chinese you should probably not live in Asia (Japan and Korea being exceptions). Over my many years in Asia, I have had Chinese clients, employees, lawyers, doctors and girlfriends ... most of whom would put many of our caucasian expats to shame when it comes to matters of politeness.

There IS a real problem with a segment of middle class and nouveau riche Chinese who emigrate from the mainland ... thinking they are special by being able to emigrate ... and are totally oblivious to those around them. They are people totally uninterested in learning about their new culture and care nothing about anyone outside their circle. They can be exceptionally annoying.

I think you nailed it there. I have Chinese family members both here and in Europe, and they couldn't be more different than some of the annoying mainlanders reported on here so far.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i am a chink calling other chinks a chink
no you are not because you are from Singapore= a notably multicultural nation.
and here we are pretty much defining a national set of traits- similar to what they used to call the ugly american.
something you don't hear too much any more because the yanks learned cultural sensitivity- at least as individual travelers, though not in foreign policy.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:18 pm Apart from SOHO (chinatown) the only time you come across chinese people in London is in a betting shop. :stir:

charlie
I was in a bookies in Chesterfield (mum's boyfriend is a small-time gambler) and there were two excitable Chinese gentlemen in there doing the horses.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic