Glory Hole update.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Re: Glory Hole update.

Post by LaudJohn »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:29 pm So did the owners come up with that name not really knowing what it meant, as presumably non are gay?

That's a little embarrassing.
When 3 of us were discussing the prospect of a co owned bar, run for the benefit of a group of owners, but still wanting outside custom, to open without girls, in a sea of established bars; I knew we would have a problem getting established if we did not have a name that garnered attention and hopefully publicity.

Hence I chose Glory Hole. We knew what it meant. I was pretty sure the name would get attention and thus custom.

It has worked a treat.

I want to offer my Thanks to you and others and our growing regular clientelle for proving me right!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i have been ranting and raving for years about the suitability of an old fashioned residential "gentlemen's club"
( that does not ban ladies. )
still a great idea i think.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"i have been ranting and raving for years about the suitability of an old fashioned residential "gentlemen's club""

Doubtlessly the name Glory Hole will attrack real high class gentlemen.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Good luck to the owners.

I can't help but think once the furore has subdued it'll just be like any other bar in the square. Which essentially is what it is.

If your plan was just for a mates bar then fine. If it was for a new type of bar to attract customers then what ones were you looking to get?

Chinese?
TRM
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TRM »

But I thought that the square was closing / having all their leases run out?
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Few more years left, unless it gets bought by the chinese. Either way I don't think the "Glory boys" are fussed as I'd imagine their outlay has been pretty small.

On a related note to clientele and target markets. I see a few people advertising fitness/boot camps on Facebook.

Amuses me. Who are they targeting?
Expats? Er. No.
Backpackers. I'm sure they just want to chill/get wasted/Facebook. No.
Chinese? No.
Locals? No

Any other group?
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 am Few more years left, unless it gets bought by the chinese. Either way I don't think the "Glory boys" are fussed as I'd imagine their outlay has been pretty small.

On a related note to clientele and target markets. I see a few people advertising fitness/boot camps on Facebook.

Amuses me. Who are they targeting?
Expats? Er. No.
Backpackers. I'm sure they just want to chill/get wasted/Facebook. No.
Chinese? No.
Locals? No

Any other group?
Plenty of expats sign up for these things. Independence Monument and Wat Botum park have several groups of people in the morning and afternoon attending these plus a few of the fitness centres. I know a few expats who will go to a one or two week bootcamp in Cambodia to exercise and feel healthy. 14 days of exercise, fresh food and no booze.

Additionally there are others who would come for a two week bootcamp to get fit. I had a friends kids (in their late 20s good careers) travelling the region and they spent two weeks at one in SHV with accommodation etc. they said it was booked up for most of the summer. They did it after a couple of months of just eating, boozing and travelling about. There definitely is a market.
Maybe you just hang out with the wrong people or just have lazy stereotypes about expats/backpackers. Same as yoga retreats and people who want to do a back to basics homestay in a wood hut in the middle of nowhere. It may not be for everyone but there is a market out there.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

I was talking about SHV and I am aware of that resort and have been there and in the off season it is empty. In fact they reduce a lot of the schedule.
I have seen many of these fitness people set up in Cambodia and they never last or make any money. Bit like bars!

Anyway. Back on topic.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I guess they are viewing it as an experiment - if it works great - if it doesn't, they've all got somewhere to drink with their friends for a relatively small outlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

bangkokhooker wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:10 pm I was talking about SHV and I am aware of that resort and have been there and in the off season it is empty. In fact they reduce a lot of the schedule.
I have seen many of these fitness people set up in Cambodia and they never last or make any money. Bit like bars!

Anyway. Back on topic.
There are many fitness centres in Cambodia. Probably more and more are setting up, while we converse on CEO. The one in KK town is full every day with westerners and Khmer alike. There are also many AstroTurf football grounds around here. All seem to be good business all year round.
Opening and running a bar here may be easy for some, Khmer bar/restaurants seem to do very well. I suppose they have more customers with there own people. Most western bars are mainly catering too for there own kind. But mainly it is expats living in the area, and tourists, but for visitors the seasons are very short. :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic