Anyone know Hans? Lost his memory and his clothes in Phnom Penh..

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Anyone know Hans? Lost his memory and his clothes in Phnom Penh..

Post by Kuroneko »

Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm
My goodness what's wrong with these people. Where is their pride? Don't whites care anymore about upholding good reputations?
I think it ended on February 15th 1942 :D

“I do hope we are not getting too strong in Malaya because if so the Japanese may never attempt a landing.”

British troops stationed in Singapore were also told that the Japanese troops were poor fighters; alright against soldiers in China who were poor fighters themselves, but of little use against the might of the British Army. The Japanese onslaught through the Malay Peninsula took everybody by surprise. Speed was of the essence for the Japanese, never allowing the British forces time to re-group. This was the first time British forces had come up against a full-scale attack by the Japanese.

As the Japanese attacked through the Peninsula, their troops were ordered to take no prisoners as they would slow up the Japanese advance. A pamphlet issued to all Japanese soldiers stated:

“When you encounter the enemy after landing, think of yourself as an avenger coming face to face at last with his father’s murderer. Here is a man whose death will lighten your heart.”

For the British military command in Singapore, war was still fought by the ‘rule book’. Social life was important in Singapore and the Raffles Hotel and Singapore Club were important social centres frequented by officers. An air of complacency had built in regarding how strong Singapore was – especially if it was attacked by the Japanese. When the Japanese did land at Kota Bharu aerodrome, in Malaya, Singapore’s governor, Sir Shenton Thomas is alleged to have said “Well, I suppose you’ll (the army) shove the little men off.”
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ So Hans was in the British Army in 1942? Is that what you're saying?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:12 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:21 pm
My goodness what's wrong with these people. Where is their pride? Don't whites care anymore about upholding good reputations?
Sure, one mental guy has managed to destroy all white people's reputations for ever.

Yeah, and that's why so many people call your once great city Londonistan now...
People who have never been to London might.

John I don't know where your information is from, but the white British are a lot lower in London. To the tune many are unable to afford to live there.
The graph is made with information from the 2011 census. I lived in London for a long time and have a pretty good idea of the ethnic makeup. Housing is ridiculously expensive in London these days, but it's not because all the properties are suddenly full of Pakistanis/ Afghanis or whatever was implied.

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:07 pm
Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:57 am We also have foreigners in london,they don,t end upon the street naked though, they tend to form gangs,rape young girls, do lots of stabbings, acid attacks,muggings and drug dealing and begging.
just saying :stir:

charlie
Yeah, and that's why so many people call your once great city Londonistan now...
Topic is Newsworthy Cambodia - why do you (people in general, but you two in particular) have to continually bring your UK-USA politics on here when we are discussing Cambodia ? When it's totally OT ? :boring:
Does anyone have news about Hannes ?
I'm guessing it's because they don't live here and haven't realized that the world doesn't revolve around Brit's neurosis? They'll get a terrible shock when they come here and notice all the brown people about. :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:40 pm ^^^ So Hans was in the British Army in 1942? Is that what you're saying?
No I'm saying that their reputation died in 1942, as he said : "Don't whites care anymore about upholding good reputations?" :D
Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ashcroftie »

Hans is from South Africa. About a year ago, he stayed for a few weeks in a guesthouse - and restaurant - on St 172 where I regularly met him. At the time he was relatively normal (although with some minor strange behavior, but don't we all have some strange habits?). He was much more looking like the photos posted here by a teacher colleague, although at the time he claimed he was an 'education consultant' (that probably was a fantasy already then).

Anyway, I met him again like 3 weeks ago and yes, then he was totally different: disoriented and telling strange stories that he "lost everything, but had 10's of 1000's in the bank, but unfortunately didn't have access to it right now, so if he could borrow $50 for the day...bla...bla...bla." You know the story. It was really a pain to see him in that state. My guess was then already - as mentioned by other posters - that he had a stroke.

He really needs help, but not in this country. I think he cannot go back to South Africa, but I don't know the reasons why. When he stayed at the guesthouse he also claimed to have a wife in Malaysia, but whether that is(was) true or not, I don't know.

Summing it up: it's really sad to see him going downhill like this, but what's the action to take?
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

one guy who tried to help him earlier this week was told by hans he was dutch,obviously no one know2s for sure at this moment what nationality he is,but if he is from a country who help there citizens abroad they need to be contacted,pray he is not british.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

He told me he had a Dutch mother and English father, and that he "worked on" his Dutch passport. His accent does sound more like South African though. Usually I would be reluctant to post information from a private conversation on a public forum, but seems like privacy is the least of his concerns at the moment. He said something about "the ambassador" seeing him every month and giving him some pills, but in the state he was in no way of knowing if that was partially correct or a complete figment of his imagination.
I have emailed the embassy in Bangkok but if anyone on here has a better idea that would be great.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Sure, one mental guy has managed to destroy all white people's reputations for ever.

I was going to say it's only you who calls it that. Bradford would probably be more accurate for that slur, as Yorkshire people tend to be a lot more racist.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

can you cite a credible source or is that just an anecdote?
LOL
when i lived in London 1972-1977 in an upmarket neighborhood- Hampstead, it all smelled like curry at 5 PM.
UK has possibly the best Indian food in the world.
Kebabs too.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 pm

I was going to say it's only you who calls it that. Bradford would probably be more accurate for that slur, as Yorkshire people tend to be a lot more racist.
Remember the tread the other day about being polite. Bradistan there up in Yorkshire, may have, or may have not been named by a Yorkshire bloke, or could it have been a visiting southerner. Or possibly even a Pakistani restaurant owner.
I myself lived ten miles from Bradford, and was a regular restaurant visitor, curry's there are first class.
So yes I am a Yorkshire lad, without a racist bone in my body. If I had I would not be living in Cambodia. :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic