Sihanoukville facing a trash crisis- Cintri suspending services

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Sihanoukville facing a trash crisis- Cintri suspending services

Post by j57 »

I lived there in 2017 and a few months in 2018..
even when they picked up the garbage in front of my building...other people would dump their garbage overnight ..
small bins that were not enough for 2 families were provided for a 25 unit building...
Has anybody ever mentioned that when they did pick it up they took it a few blocks away and burned it?
toxic smoke filled the air...
the wind changed after the rainy season and the smoke began to pour through my back door...
I was lucky the chinese bought my building and I got tossed out with 7 months on my lease..
a cesspool of filth that all ran downhill to Otres just below where I lived..
sickening...
I cannot imagine ever going back...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville, Cambodia News: Sihanoukville City Hall reported that in the morning of April 29, 1919, the authorities summoned a Chinese woman who was taking her garbage and throwing it away without proper packaging.
The garbage needs to be packed properly into rubbish bags and deposed in the bin, and if you do not comply with these instructions, the authorities will fine you.
The place where the woman dumped her rubbish was at 502 Road in Sangkat 4, Sihanouk Ville.
Huy Bunleng
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

October 9, 2019
Governor seeks World Bank’s help to tackle waste woes

Due to the rapid growth of the Kingdom’s coastal city of Sihanoukville, the amount of rubbish being produced daily has skyrocketed from just 100 to 200 tonnes per day in 2015 to a staggering 1,000 tonnes today, prompting Preah Sihanouk’s governor to request World Bank aid to address the situation.

Governor Kuoch Chamroeun on Monday made the request during a meeting with Grace Smith, an environment consultant for the World Bank and co-founder of Go Green Cambodia, who gave a presentation on plastic waste management at the Provincial Hall.

A Provincial Hall statement yesterday said Mr Chamroeun asked the World Bank for technical assistance to manage garbage in order to prevent tonnes of garbage from flowing into the sea.

“The governor requested for technical assistance in building a waste barrier and also a treatment plant at O’chheouteal Beach in Sihanoukville’s Buon commune to prevent garbage from flowing into the sea,” it said.

During their meeting, Mr Chamroeun told Ms Smith the amount of garbage produced in Sihanoukville has rapidly increased over the past few years, making it difficult for the provincial administration to manage the sheer volume of waste.

“Due to rapid development, garbage in our city has increased by between 10 to 15 percent annually,” Mr Chamroeun said. “In 2015, we only had 100 to 200 tonnes of garbage per day, but now we have up to 1,000 per day.”

According to National Institute of Statistics, Preah Sihanbouk had a population of around 89,800 Cambodians, with approximately 66,700 in its urban centre, in 2008 – a number that has ballooned to 302,000 people this year according to the latest census.

This population of 302,000 does not include an influx of Chinese nationals investing in the coastal city. According to Sihanoukville Governor Y Sokleng,[now ex-governor], Chinese investors began flocking to Sihanoukville over the past few years and their population is now estimated to rival locals at about 80,000.

In 2017, Kampong Som Waste Management Company agreed to a ten-year contract to operate garbage disposal after its predecessor, Cintri, had its contract terminated due to inefficient services.

Earlier this year, provincial authorities added 30 garbage trucks and 171 garbage collectors in four communes to improve the collection and transportation of garbage in Sihanoukville.

Mr Chamroeun noted that the provincial administration is working hard to collect garbage in the city, but cannot cope with the amount being disposed.

“We even held a campaign to clean up the garbage and increased the transportation of waste out of the city,” Mr Chamroeun told Ms Smith.

“Currently, the garbage company only has 85 trucks and we are pushing for it to have 80 more in the near future,” Mr Chamroeun added. “Our garbage collection services are also currently undergoing a crisis because many collectors have left for better jobs.”

“We also face problems transporting the waste because of damaged roads and traffic jams,” he noted. “Normally, the trucks transport garbage three times a day, but when the jams are severe they can only make one trip.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50649191/g ... aste-woes/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sihanoukville, Cambodia News: Sihanoukville citizens are complaining that some roads in sangkat 1 are being used as garbage tips. The local residents have posted on social media that people come by night and throw bags of trash on the roadside, and they are requesting the intervention of the city authorities.
Huy Bunleng

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Not much different to most of the roads throughout Cambodia, I've just rode Siem reap to Phnom Penh and the smells of the garbage on the roadside near made me sick it's virtually the whole way.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Bins, how do they work?!?!

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic