Private 1-1 UK British Female English Tutor $10/Hour - Sihanoukville

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Private 1-1 UK British Female English Tutor $10/Hour - Sihanoukville

Post by mauser765 »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 pm
mauser765 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 pm Indeed, prescriptive out, functional/communicative in.

People don't learn English by studying grammar. It's completely unnatural.

And to help your students better, put yourself in their position.
To put yourself in their position you need to speak Khmer, because they don't understand English.
That was my point.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ok to turn the tables! If I was to learn Khmer the teacher would need to speak English or I would not understand what the hell I was learning.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 pm
Also, I wouldn't be confident of the British being able to speak English based only on nationality, these days... aye Punchy? :wink:
Dornt know what yer talking about mucker, well i understand mesen anyroad, open ya lugs or me and thee are gonna fall out :plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

Not sure why the OP is offering English lessons on a English-written-only forum anyway. Who is the target market on here? Trapper when he's pissed surely needs some proofreading and correction and Richard needs to learn how to spell "you" but that's about it. :plus1:

Is it recommendations from users here to locals that is the pitch? I sure as shit wouldn't recommend some $10 an hour random who has given no indication of being qualified to teach English other than being born in the South of England. This lot come from the South of England but you wouldn't want them teaching you English.

Besides, if I know someone who is willing to pay $10 an hour to be taught English, I'll take it myself as I'm qualified too. :stir:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

AndyKK wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:26 pm
AndyKK wrote:Just one simple question to all English teachers here. Do you speak fluent Khmer?
Cambridge says that speaking the indigenous language is no use when trying to teach ENGLISH.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
And please tell me how many English teachers in Cambodia have master degrees from Cambridge and Oxford?
100s of CELTAs here...they even gave me one....

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

AndyKK wrote:
mauser765 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 pm Indeed, prescriptive out, functional/communicative in.

To put yourself in their position you need to speak Khmer, because they don't understand English.
I didn't understand English when my parents taught me. ..

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Kammekor wrote:
AndyKK wrote:Just one simple question to all English teachers here. Do you speak fluent Khmer?
Cambridge says that speaking the indigenous language is no use when trying to teach ENGLISH.

Good luck with your Khmer studies if your teacher speaks Khmer only.....
At the basic beginners level, maybe, but speaking the language is irrelevant anywhere else. I've studied French, English, Russian, German, Spanish and Khmer always with native speakers. In several cases they never said a word in English. It helps at the very beginning, as mentioned, but as soon as you're no longer a complete beginner (false beginner) it's better to simply be immersed in the language.

It's also a silly statement as I doubt anyone who has zero English would be contacting her. People wanting to perfect it or improve are the ones who would be calling her, and in that case she can easily explain grammar points or whatever in English.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 pm
Also, I wouldn't be confident of the British being able to speak English based only on nationality, these days... aye Punchy? :wink:
Dornt know what yer talking about mucker, well i understand mesen anyroad, open ya lugs or me and thee are gonna fall out :plus1:
O
I have a student that speaks English with some weird Fargo-esque accent. I couldn't quite understand where in the States their teacher must have come from. Then they said aboot instead of about, and I knew it must be Canada. Somewhere equivalent to Fargo- land. Students get taught so many weird accents. All the Spanish people I knew in Glasgow had originally gone there to learn English. Lol.
See crook!!!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 am
AndyKK wrote:

I didn't understand English when my parents taught me. ..

At that age the brain has a very different structure and is very open to acquiring new languages. Try the same at the age of 15 or higher and you'll face a very different situation, needing a different approach.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:58 am
Kammekor wrote:

Good luck with your Khmer studies if your teacher speaks Khmer only.....
At the basic beginners level, maybe, but speaking the language is irrelevant anywhere else. I've studied French, English, Russian, German, Spanish and Khmer always with native speakers. In several cases they never said a word in English. It helps at the very beginning, as mentioned, but as soon as you're no longer a complete beginner (false beginner) it's better to simply be immersed in the language.

It's also a silly statement as I doubt anyone who has zero English would be contacting her. People wanting to perfect it or improve are the ones who would be calling her, and in that case she can easily explain grammar points or whatever in English.
The issue is not whether the teacher is a native speaker or not, nobody will argue a native speaker will (usually) be preferred, but the issue is if it pays of to have a bilingual teacher.
Given the fact English has an awful load of concepts, grammar and structures non existent in Khmer, and it's very difficult for a non native speaker to apply those correctly, I am 100% convinced a bilingual teacher will pay of at any level except when someone just wants to work on his or her pronunciation but already manages the grammar rules.

How is an English teacher, unable to speaker Khmer, ever going to explain all those grammar rules to the students if they only can count from one to ten and have some basic conversation skills like 'Hello, how are you?' I'm fine, thank you.'?

Maybe the problem is most native speakers teaching English are not even aware of the grammar rules, because they apply the grammar automatically? :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic