petty squabbling and bickering

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Squabbling

Post by TOG »

I do not think that squabbling is an issue here. Some 50% of posts on CEO are tit for tat. Without them, the viewing figures and hits would be much lower.

I think that the problem arises when some members go out of their way to round on a new member or a member they do not like for whatever reason. Several of them gang up and make the issue personal. That is where I believe the line is crossed.

We all know how it happens. Sitting in a bar tanked up on a few cheap beers the fingers hit the keys or screen. Or lonely at home in a run down apartment feeling fed up with life (a few threads on that) "it's let start a row".

Personally, I think the moderators do a good job in general but have on occasions missed the culprit who started the fight and then slunk away leaving the rest brawling.

However, I will add that unlike Thai Visa Forum, the moderators here seem to accept complaints against them and even hit back. On TVF, simply questioning a moderator earns you a life time ban.

Bicker? I don't see a problem. Make it personal and bait and bully, yes that is a problem. Perhaps we need some lefty Luvvie Liberal Councillors to give some therapy lessons.

Anyway. Starting the festivities early with family so as Tiny Tim said, "A Merry Christmas to us all; God bless us, every one!".
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I agree that members new and old would find this a better place without petty squabbling.

We dont want to mod it.

We dont want proscribed discussion.

Keep things in perspective and keep the discourse civil.

If you have some comments that do not warrant public discussion take them to the darknet.

Unfortunately moderation tools are blunt. If other members warn you or neg you it will play a part in banning and other shitful measures mods sometimes take.

Keeping in mind that many members clamour for increased modding.

It sucks and i dont want it.

Some pretty destructive battling here now.
We lost a member today who was fed up with baiting.

A few ppl routinely bait noobs and that is going to stop.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: petty squabbling and bickering

Post by frank lee bent »

For your review
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:52 pm Please show courtesy to new members and answer their questions kindly with the benefit of your experience.

Too much baiting and squabbling here
TOG wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:28 pm I do not think that squabbling is an issue here.
Bicker? I don't see a problem.
:please:
FLB says there's too much baiting and squabbling. He's just asking for people to be civil and stop bickering.
You immediately disagree.
AB101
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AB101 »

Jeeze Quanah,

That took some reading.
All members are equal but some members are more equal than others
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

" in fact they are the descendants of lowland scots- the lingual relics are unmistakable in the pronounciation of the words fish, chips, and house."

Well some are, but there are the others who shun pancakes and eat putsin.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

It's ok... It was me, I used a bad word. Sorry
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:06 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:52 pm Please show courtesy to new members and answer their questions kindly with the benefit of your experience.

Too much baiting and squabbling here
TOG wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:28 pm I do not think that squabbling is an issue here.
Bicker? I don't see a problem.
:please:
FLB says there's too much baiting and squabbling. He's just asking for people to be civil and stop bickering.
You immediately disagree.
He has every right to put forward his thoughts on the subject, and disagree if he thinks the conclusions are wrong. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Being petty wastes electrons and promotes global warming.

Enough nah.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

TOG wrote:Starting the festivities early with family so as Tiny Tim said, "A Merry Christmas to us all; God bless us, every one!".
Be careful with the toxic ‘C’ thing. Got a bah humbug last time.

But a very Merry Christmas to you too!

BTW, how’s the new bionic hip?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic