Cambodia Daily Closes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Cambodia Daily Closes

Post by frank lee bent »

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/cambodia- ... -24-years/
THE CAMBODIA DAILY TO CLOSE AFTER 24 YEARS
For Immediate Release

The power to tax is the power to destroy. And after 24 years and 15 days, the Cambodian government has destroyed The Cambodia Daily, a special and singular part of Cambodia’s free press.

As a result of extra-legal threats by the government to close the Daily, freeze its accounts and prosecute the new owner for the actions of the previous owner, The Bernard Krisher Jimusho Co. is unable to operate The Cambodia Daily newspaper and it will cease publication as of September 4, 2017.

The Company, owned by Deborah Krisher-Steele, purchased the assets of The Cambodia Daily in April 2017 from Mr. Bernard Krisher. The Company will revert those assets to Mr. Krisher and seek dissolution. Mr. Krisher flatly asserts that the way he operated The Cambodia Daily was lawful and invites the Government of Cambodia to prosecute him if it believes otherwise. If charged, Mr. Krisher will return to Cambodia.

There may well be a legitimate dispute between the tax department and the owners of the Daily over when tax became collectable and in what amount. In an ordinary process, matters in dispute would be resolved after an audit and private negotiations. Instead, the Daily has been targeted for an astronomical tax assessment, leaks and false statements by the tax department and public vilification by the head of government before an audit, much less a legal proceeding.

In a letter from the Director General of the tax department delivered on August 29, and a statement simultaneously leaked on the government-aligned Fresh News, the tax department accused the Daily of having, over many years, collected and exploited the VAT of “hundreds of thousands of dollars from clients and did not pay tax to the state” and threatened Deborah Krisher-Steele with prosecution for that as the criminal offense of tax evasion. Pocketing VAT would be theft and that accusation is apparently the basis for the Prime Minister’s speech of August 22, calling the Daily the “chief thief.”

Evidence to refute this allegation is in the purchasing records of every Ministry in this government and every embassy in the capitol. The Daily can match every dollar of tax collected with tax paid since Ms. Kirsher-Steele’s company was established. For the tax department’s allegation that the Daily pocketed VAT for many years to be true, there should be thousands of old invoices around the city showing whether it collected VAT. If they existed, the tax department would have leaked them to Fresh News already. Money not collected can not be stolen.

The allegations of theft are unfounded and defamatory. The campaign of leaks is unprofessional and unlawful.

The Cambodia Daily, like every English language newspaper here, operates at a loss. It has continued because it operates on a shoestring and the Krisher family has been willing to absorb those losses in order to help Cambodia create a free press and a tradition of independent journalism.

On Monday, the Daily’s service to the Cambodian people will end. We want to thank our advertisers and subscribers who supported freedom of the press for so long, and our staff, who have fought fiercely and courageously to report All the News Without Fear or Favor.

For more information, please contact:
In Tokyo, Deborah Krisher-Steele, Deputy Publisher, ([email protected], +81-80-2033-2219)
In Phnom Penh, Jodie DeJonge, Editor in Chief ([email protected])
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Cambodia Daily Closes

Post by StroppyChops »

A very heavy blow to the (sham) process of democracy. And no coincidence that this pressure was applied in the months leading up to this historically significant day.

Today also sheds some light on the whole issue of a particular NGO being forced to apologise or leave the country.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

So wait, they've been operating at a loss for 25 years? I find that rather hard to believe...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:52 pm So wait, they've been operating at a loss for 25 years? I find that rather hard to believe...
I don't. A number of humanitarians knowingly operate at a loss for long periods if they believe they're working for a greater good. (Did you see my GoFundMe?)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You think the Daily is really "humanitarian"? I doubt Bernie was operating at a loss all these years. I also doubt the Post is operating at a loss. Hell, even the little magazines around town (Bayon, Echo, Asia Life) don't operate at a loss. No real way to find out about The Daily though...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:13 pm You think the Daily is really "humanitarian"? I doubt Bernie was operating at a loss all these years. I also doubt the Post is operating at a loss. Hell, even the little magazines around town (Bayon, Echo, Asia Life) don't operate at a loss. No real way to find out about The Daily though...
Okay. You're right.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Whatever the case may be, I will definitely miss it, especially the Monday editions with the reprint of articles accompanied by Khmer translations.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:17 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:52 pm So wait, they've been operating at a loss for 25 years? I find that rather hard to believe...
I don't. A number of humanitarians knowingly operate at a loss for long periods if they believe they're working for a greater good. (Did you see my GoFundMe?)
Or if they're funded by 'ahem!' certain organisations.

Not trying to detract from genuine organisations trying to uplift people.

I really feel for the staff who have lost their jobs. As usual, the coordinators with an agenda will be unscathed,
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Whatever you think of the CD, this is not a good sign.

And somewhere along the way, closing the CD (and others) leads to questions about the neutrality of the news outlets that remain open, doesn't it ?
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

I think the questions to those answers were made clear long ago.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic