Opposition Leader Kem Sokha (CNRP President) Arrested For "TREASON" in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
theghost
Expatriate
Yemen

Re: Opposition Leader Kem Sokha (CNRP President) Arrested For "TREASON" in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by theghost »

The nationalists are the last people we want in charge....
Keep Cambodia how it is CPP for life
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Opposition Leader Kem Sokha (CNRP President) Arrested For "TREASON" in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

My view is that the party in power has a particular vision of democracy. Elections are a necessary evil, but everyone gets to vote as long as 'we' always win. Anyone trying to upset this scenario is causing "chaos".

I really don't think HE has ever had the intention of giving up power. This electoral stuff has always been about creating the illusion that there is a choice, and that HE is there because elected by the people. The opposition party has been allowed to exist to complete the mirage of Cambodia as a democracy, which is (or was) necessary to ensure western funding and aid. If it has become more of a hindrance than a help, then from the authorities' POV it needs to go.

As for what will happen next, well :popcorn:
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 amThis whole thing wouldn't be happening if it weren't highly probable they wouldn't win the next election by reasonably fair means.
So, China want HE in power and he is working with them supporting the SC Sea and one China. Their massive pay off to HE was military aid and training and the biggest investment portfolio Cambodia has ever known.
Tell me one thing, how many times has America done worse when it has been in China's position?

How many countries has China invaded/forced regime change?

I'm not missing your point, I'm just asking for a balanced sense of perspective.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Gilmore wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:34 am This morning, Apsara TV aired an excerpt from a Sokha speech, in which he claims unnamed foreign countries and international organisations are directly supporting the CNRP's bid to gain power. I guess this is a key piece of evidence that will be used to incriminate Sokha. The production credits were from a certain news organisation, obviously allied to the government. I didn't note the name, but it wasn't Fresh News.
That Australian video clip is from 2014.
See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

mauser765 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:23 pm
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 amThis whole thing wouldn't be happening if it weren't highly probable they wouldn't win the next election by reasonably fair means.
So, China want HE in power and he is working with them supporting the SC Sea and one China. Their massive pay off to HE was military aid and training and the biggest investment portfolio Cambodia has ever known.
Tell me one thing, how many times has America done worse when it has been in China's position?

How many countries has China invaded/forced regime change?

I'm not missing your point, I'm just asking for a balanced sense of perspective.

Certainly not arguing against America as an aggressor. That's obvious. China has claimed the whole of the ocean in the East as their own though. The Chinese are clever, they hang onto your willy as the old joke goes. They have taken over just about every country in the East economically, and a lot more besides. The Chinese are everywhere nowadays. And let's not forget they were also in Africa with the UK and US etc. vying for each country's natural resources in the independence era.
See crook!!!
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

The US had the chance to do enormous good in Africa.

They chose to rather stash money, at the expense of millions of lives.

Missed opportunity, motivated by cash.

No whining, deal with it.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm
takeoman wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:49 pm
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:45 am
takeoman wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:13 am Regarding the timing, if the intention is to 1) obtain a conviction, 2) ban the CNRP, 3) declare a state of emergency, 4) postpone the election, they probably couldn't put of acting much longer. As far as upsetting the majority, here n the sticks the news has, so far, been greeted with total indifference. :hattip:
Do you live in one of the poor MFI villages? If you do,, I think you may in for a nasty surprise. Otherwise your outlining sounds accurate enough, but knowing HE a bit better in these last moves, I expect he has even more up his sleeve.

Why would he need so long to find a conviction? I'd say he could do it two or three days.
He may have been diagnosed with some terminal illness, and as he sees it, it's now or never for the Hun dynasty.
I live in an old, well established village in what was once "Ta Mok country", have weathered several Cambodian elections without any nasty suprises. HE is never predictable, and there will no doubt be many more twists and turns to come. I wouldn't under estimate the role of several others, such as Sar Kheng and Tea Banh in what transpires. :hattip:
With respect, this is the first time since you've been here that there has been overwhelming support against the government. The CNRP obviously had it in the bag this time. Remember that private census of what the people thought that HE had done recently?

We were reliably informed that both Hilary Clinton and Theresa May had it in the bag, only to find that over confident predictions often go wrong. The North Korean nuclear test may be another reason why this happened now, unlikely either the US or Europe will be much concerned about a domestic crisis in Cambodia when faced with this much bigger problem. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Last reports from the Cambodia Daily on the latest political upheaval :

Latest Updates: CNRP Leader Kem Sokha Arrested for ‘Treason’
by The Cambodia Daily | September 3, 2017

6:45 p.m.: Hing Soksan, the head of the CNRP’s youth wing, said he narrowly escaped arrest this evening as plainclothes police officers swarmed his home in Phnom Penh.
Speaking to reporters by telephone while fleeing his house at around 6 p.m., Mr. Soksan declined to say where he was going, saying only that he was heading somewhere safe.

“The police are raiding my house,” he said. “Now I escaped through the other door…. I cannot say anything about my whereabouts or my house location.”
Kem Monovithiya, the CNRP’s deputy head of public affairs, confirmed the incident but said it was unclear why the youth leader was being threatened with arrest.

1:18 p.m.: The opposition’s meeting to discuss the arrest of its leader is over, but the party would not divulge what—if anything—it has decided to do.
“Any party that harms free and fair elections, please take responsibility yourself and face the international community,” CNRP Vice President Mu Sochua said as she left party headquarters.
Ms. Sochua would not answer questions about the party’s plans, or who could replace Kem Sokha, who has been arrested over accusations of treason, if it came to that...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/nrp- ... on-134249/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Do we get a HE sock puppet as CNRP leader now?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

“How can it be a red-handed crime since His Excellency Kem Sokha was asleep like a log? This is ridiculous.”
Ah, so that's what he was doing. Dreaming about insurrection. Got you!!!!
Otherwise, a heavily edited video clip from 2014 doesn't really constitute a red-handed crime.

Sokha arrested for ‘treason’, is accused of colluding with US to topple the government

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/sok ... government

4 Sep, 2017 - Post Staff.

Reporting by Mech Dara, Shaun Turton, Yon Sineat, Phak Seangly, Niem Chheng, Kong Meta, Chhay Channyda, Meas Sokchea and Soth Koemsoeun.

Seems like the papers are getting the whole team behind these articles​. Anyone care to posit why?
See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic