Is Feng shui an utter load of crap?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Is Feng shui an utter load of crap?

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

My customers have mentioned Feng shui to me to few times over the years. The last time was very recently when we were talking about what things "are made of". I was going round the room getting them to deconstruct everything, and I asked them what the tall plastic plant covered in little fairy lights that changed colour was made of. The first thing they told me was that it was Feng shui.
In Glasgow they have another name for things like that; fancy goods. Not quite so self-important a name, but distressing none the less.

What has happened to the idea of Feng shui? I thought it was supposed to be an arrangement of things into a spiritual order. A bit like the furniture version of getting your chakras aligned. Hard to see a fancy good achieving that end. Maybe it's my Western mind.

So, is it a load of eastern crap or what?
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
See crook!!!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is Feng shui an utter load of crap?

Post by John Bingham »

Some probably makes sense but a whole lot of it is just random shit with stupid justifications. I lived in a house where the owner moved the doorway and then put it back in the same place again a few months later because he thought it wasn't in the right position for money to come in. Obviously the wall was destroyed twice during this "exercise".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Just make sure that in your bedroom your feet are not pointing toward the door. Oh, and don't forget the water and mirrors, and stuff.

You should be good to go.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

I kind of think it is based on personal feelings, but I find it strange that it changes frequently after the initial decision

Isn't that an admission that the whole thing was a mistake?
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Looks totally scientific.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Isn't it all about in which corner of the room you piss in? Fing shewey
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

It's right there floating around in the bowl with astrology.
You could be next.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Whatever the critics say, I can testify...it's a moving experience
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:38 pm Some probably makes sense but a whole lot of it is just random shit with stupid justifications. I lived in a house where the owner moved the doorway and then put it back in the same place again a few months later because he thought it wasn't in the right position for money to come in. Obviously the wall was destroyed twice during this "exercise".
Blimey, that sounds serious. Is it a bit like religion? Are people prepared to kill and die over Feng shui?

I think we can all agree on its beauty, but is it worth dying for?
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
See crook!!!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Because of the influence of animism it is often difficult to distinguish between imported philosophies and indigenous mysticism. For example no one places the entrance facing west in our village since they believe that dead spirits will enter from that direction after dark.
Is that shin phooie or does it have internal cultural influence?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic