Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

Post by Kammekor »

taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:27 pm ". No treatment means a certain death. What's your plan then? Given the health situation in Cambodia I can say from my own experience that this is not a rare disease and usually leads to death..."

I have been afflicted by many diseases in Cambodia deemed rare in other countries Like it or not no one lives forever, including loved ones. Medical practice is highly overrated by optimists on this forum. So my plan is not to dodge real problems but to accept the consequences of not being wealthy which is a piss poor excuse for living in fear of what might happen.
You've made clear you feel old, and don't care about yourself, but I was not talking about you, but your family. Would you really easily accept someone in your family dying of a disease that could be cured by spending a few thousand dollar in Western healthcare knowledge?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

Post by Kammekor »

Barang chgout wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:10 am
phuketrichard wrote:how can we do a survey?

How many here have $______ saved

less than $2,000
$2-5,0000
5-10,000
$10,000-25,000
More than $25,000

and could handle an emergency...
Fuck all saved but access to heaps. Conversely , have saved WELL over $25k over the last 30ish years by NOT buying insurance....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Good. No need for insurance if you can cough a few grand I guess.

But health insurance saved my wife's life 3 years ago. Two sides to every story I guess.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"You've made clear you feel old, and don't care about yourself, but I was not talking about you, but your family. Would you really easily accept someone in your family dying of a disease that could be cured by spending a few thousand dollar in Western healthcare knowledge?"

Look if I worried about everything bad that can happen to people in Cambodia, I'd have to move. However:

1/ I do care about myself and my family. Your Western values are of no concern or interest to me.

2. Now after all that fucking rain, I have grounds work to do. For me that is a real problem not a vague fear of what might be.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

taabarang wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:35 am "You've made clear you feel old, and don't care about yourself, but I was not talking about you, but your family. Would you really easily accept someone in your family dying of a disease that could be cured by spending a few thousand dollar in Western healthcare knowledge?"

Look if I worried about everything bad that can happen to people in Cambodia, I'd have to move. However:

1/ I do care about myself and my family. Your Western values are of no concern or interest to me.

2. Now after all that fucking rain, I have grounds work to do. For me that is a real problem not a vague fear of what might be.
While doing grounds work better switch of your device, or at least make sure it logs out of the sites you logged in before. Much safer.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Kammekor wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:10 am
phuketrichard wrote:how can we do a survey?

How many here have $______ saved

less than $2,000
$2-5,0000
5-10,000
$10,000-25,000
More than $25,000

and could handle an emergency...
Fuck all saved but access to heaps. Conversely , have saved WELL over $25k over the last 30ish years by NOT buying insurance....

Good. No need for insurance if you can cough a few grand I guess.

But health insurance saved my wife's life 3 years ago. Two sides to every story I guess.
True dat. Ultimately though, I figure life's a bitch and you never know when your numbers up. If my number comes up because I can't afford 100k in medical, then so be it....

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

". Much safer."

That is your overwhelming obsession-safety, even for strangers. lol
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

True dat. Ultimately though, I figure life's a bitch and you never know when your numbers up. If my number comes up because I can't afford 100k in medical, then so be it....

I don't just imagine but many people on this site will have lost family members and loved ones. And more then likely friends overseas.
Insurance, you have or not have, simple choice of your own. Afford it or not. I myself never had. I was quoted recently a premium of $1500.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

taabarang wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:59 am ". Much safer."

Still hanging around?

What about the grounds work? or is it raining again?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 am True dat. Ultimately though, I figure life's a bitch and you never know when your numbers up. If my number comes up because I can't afford 100k in medical, then so be it....

I don't just imagine but many people on this site will have lost family members and loved ones. And more then likely friends overseas.
Insurance, you have or not have, simple choice of your own. Afford it or not. I myself never had. I was quoted recently a premium of $1500.
Of course, most can't afford 100k if shit really hits the fan, and many are not willing to cough up 1.5k a year for medical insurance you probably don't use anyway because the chance you will spend over the deductible is small.

But this thread is about a 36 years old chap ending up in the hospital due to pancreatic problems not being able to cough up 2k USD that might safe his life. That's just sad I think.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 pm
taabarang wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:59 am ". Much safer."

Still hanging around?

What about the grounds work? or is it raining again?
It's no use being angry with people. Especially if you are hoping for their help or donations. I am sorry for anyone in this kind of unforeseeable situation. I have had two of my very close friends die overseas, one of them here in Cambodia, to be honest that is how I came to be here.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Locked Previous topicNext topic