Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

Post by phuketrichard »

taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:12 pm "I truly feel sorry for any expat living in a foreign and that does not have a few grand set aside for emergencies and their own funeral, (here in Thailand thats about $1,500 all in )"

You are wrong to assume I don't have that money and equally wrong to assume that at my age I consider a life threatening illness as an emergency as opposed to nature telling me it's checkout time.
where was this aimed at you?? ego or what?? :stir:

...for any expat living
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

Post by taabarang »

"You seem to be a strange bird, taabarang. Strange as in someone with a very unique perspective on life."

Thought #1. Anyone with a bit of adventure in their soul is usually deemed "strange."

Thought #2. In a land of vultures you don't have to be a peacock to be labelled "a strange old bird." I'm a realist and having lived here for 20 years I'm highly cognizant of the dangers and the joys.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:00 pm
Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:23 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:59 pm
Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:15 pm Speaking as an older married man I'd much prefer that my wife and kids got that money. My exit plan IS my insurance policy.
Well, whatever you decide to do just make it clean and do it away from home. No need for the Old lady or the Kid(s) to have to see Pops dangling from a rope or anything like that. Getting lost in the sea would be ideal from my point of view.
that would be the worst, there would be NO CLOSURE and many years till ur declared dead. Would put ur family members thru much undue worries.

Death by needle ( works for convicts) Or pills and Jack

I didn't say he should just sneak off and do himself in. I simply implied that if he's 4th or 5th stage anything and doesn't want to carry on,othen a little letter to the Old Lady explaining things and a nice little solo trip to an isolated beach might be the best thing for him. That's what I'd probably do anyway, but no bloated bodies washing up pn the beach in my case cause I'd take a nice boat ride well off shore to prevent that from ever happening.
without a body to grieve over??? thats terrible
Leaving a note means shit, as how many leave notes only wishing to disappear and in the eyes of the law ur not dead...
As Taa, gf has house, land that makes money and $$ in the bank, Daughter already has her first degree ( yea she decided to go for becoming an RN) but thats partially on her.

I truly feel sorry for any expat living in a foreign and that does not have a few grand set aside for emergencies and their own funeral, (here in Thailand thats about $1,500 all in ) :beer3:

We'll just have to disagree about the dead body thing because when you're dead you're dead and who wants to grieve over a dead body anyway? As for notes, I'd rather have a good departure note than a bloated body to grieve over. And screw the law. When you're dead you're dead.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:12 pm "I truly feel sorry for any expat living in a foreign and that does not have a few grand set aside for emergencies and their own funeral, (here in Thailand thats about $1,500 all in )"

You are wrong to assume I don't have that money and equally wrong to assume that at my age I consider a life threatening illness as an emergency as opposed to nature telling me it's checkout time.

And we spend a lifetime trying to live by the law and Richard is worried about the legalities of death even after he's dead which I find rather amusing.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

mauser765 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:21 pm
Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:43 pmI too agree that there comes a point when a rational person should just say "To hell with this" and go back home but maybe many of these expats are too far gone at that point.
Maybe home is worse?

I think we can assume that in 99% of the cases..otherwise, why would long-termers be here?

Well, if you want an answer my answer would be that, after being here for years, what's there to go back to? You're now older and finding good employment for many expats would be an issue after being out of their countries for years. And many expats don't stay in regular contact with family members so that's another issue. Every one's different and everyone has their reasons for doing this or that, but if given a choice between being a bum in my own country and being a bum in a country like Cambodia or Thailand or wherever, I'd choose home any day of the week. At least there wouldn't be visa extensions to worry about or other legal issues and there would be homeless shelters and other social services available. Sure beats drinking yourself to death in some sleazy Thai or Cambodian bar, in my opinion.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Generally on forums, we have people with a roof over their heads and the money to pay for internet expressing opinions.

There are many in Cambodia, both expat and locals who don't have such luxuries.

To know why such people stay, we should really just ask them, instead of discussing what we think their situation is.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 pm

And we spend a lifetime trying to live by the law and Richard is worried about the legalities of death even after he's dead which I find rather amusing.
Amusing?? :please:
you are entirely missing the point, yes when ur dead ur dead, BUT I am thinking about my loved ones left behind.
AND
It takes 5-7 years ( depending on the state) in America until ur legally declared dead, until than ur just missing
IF there is NO BODY , than NO Bank accounts can be released, NO property sold, your will does not come into effect, none of ur holdings can be touched.....NADA!!

Doesn't seem like the right thing to do

Of course if u have nothing than its a moot point...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:25 pm
Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Amusing?? :please:
you are entirely missing the point, yes when ur dead ur dead, BUT I am thinking about my loved ones left behind.
AND
It takes 5-7 years ( depending on the state) in America until ur legally declared dead, until than ur just missing
IF there is NO BODY , than NO Bank accounts can be released, NO property sold, your will does not come into effect, none of ur holdings can be touched.....NADA!!

Doesn't seem like the right thing to do

Of course if u have nothing than its a moot point...
OMG(!) your brain is going into overdrive, Richard. Just leave a little death note to let the Old Lady know what's going on (Like she wouldn't know anyway?). And as for all that other stuff, get your house in order beforehand and you'll have nothing to worry about. If you want me to, I'll even give you a draft of the "Farewell" letter I would personally write if it would better help you understand the thought process behind such an action.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

phuketrichard wrote:how can we do a survey?

How many here have $______ saved

less than $2,000
$2-5,0000
5-10,000
$10,000-25,000
More than $25,000

and could handle an emergency...
Fuck all saved but access to heaps. Conversely , have saved WELL over $25k over the last 30ish years by NOT buying insurance....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic