Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

Post by phuketrichard »

Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:15 pm Speaking as an older married man I'd much prefer that my wife and kids got that money. My exit plan IS my insurance policy.
Well, whatever you decide to do just make it clean and do it away from home. No need for the Old lady or the Kid(s) to have to see Pops dangling from a rope or anything like that. Getting lost in the sea would be ideal from my point of view.
that would be the worst, there would be NO CLOSURE and many years till ur declared dead. Would put ur family members thru much undue worries.

Death by needle ( works for convicts) Or pills and Jack
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Re: Friends in Phnom Penh Raise Money for American STEFFEN GOLTRA in Calmette Hospital While His Organs Fail

Post by Ronny »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:18 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:13 pm
mauser765 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:12 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 pmNo health insurance and no access to less than 2000 USD is just plain stupid. Who wants to lose his or her life over this amount of money?
You are assuming people have the money but choose to spend it on other things.

I think you're a bit out of touch with how many people don't have that amount of money.
If you don't have access to that amount of money, then maybe it's a bad idea to live here?
have to agree with this... :thumb:
like i said before ,if ur in a hospital and u dont have $2,000 or a few friends u could ask , u really should rethink where its best to live
Speaking as an older married man I'd much prefer that my wife and kids got that money. My exit plan IS my insurance polic
y.

I agree with this to IF UR OLDER than 60 but he is ONLY 36
and even so at mine or ur age $2,000?? its nothing

I dunno, but I think some of you guys are way outta line here. Not every expat can be as fortunate as some of us are and besides, it wasn't too long ago where I read from some yahoo article that the average American has less than $5,000 in savings, so if you're some expat living halfway across the world in a country like Cambodia with no real security, not having access to $2,000 doesn't really surprise me.

https://www.creditdonkey.com/average-am ... stics.html
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:27 pm ". No treatment means a certain death. What's your plan then? Given the health situation in Cambodia I can say from my own experience that this is not a rare disease and usually leads to death..."

I have been afflicted by many diseases in Cambodia deemed rare in other countries Like it or not no one lives forever, including loved ones. Medical practice is highly overrated by optimists on this forum. So my plan is not to dodge real problems but to accept the consequences of not being wealthy which is a piss poor excuse for living in fear of what might happen.
You seem to be a strange bird, taabarang. Strange as in someone with a very unique perspective on life.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:49 pm "On the surface that would appear to be the case but tell that to the guy who had money when he first went to *Insert SE Asian Country* and several years later finds himself broke because he met the wrong woman, hasn't had regular employment, over-imbibed, or experienced a combination of any of that just stated. I too agree that there comes a point when a rational person should just say "To hell with this" and go back home but maybe many of these expats are too far gone at that point."

In my case that imagined scenario may succeed in making you feel smug, but it in no way approaches the reality of my life situation.

Don't worry, being smug is the last thing I have on my mind so you'll have to find that in other posters here and there are a few of them. And if I remember correctly, at least you have a house and a little land to leave your family and not too many expats can say that. For me, my days of having to do that are done and over and all that remains is sending my half Thai son through college when he decides to go in the next 2 years or so. I HATE to judge others because, believe me, I've made my mistakes and I'm not gonna take cheap blows at people just because they may be down and out for the moment while I'm not. And like another poster here said, not all wealthy people stay that way forever and there are ups and downs. I've seen some "wealthy" people fall flat on there asses while I've also seen poor people get a few breaks and all of the sudden they are right in the thick of things, if you know what I mean. Not to digress, but that's one of the few things I like about Chinese culture. Most Chinese people do not look down on poor people just so long as they work hard because if someone works hard and gets a few breaks, anything can happen and the Chinese know it.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:59 pm
taabarang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:15 pm Speaking as an older married man I'd much prefer that my wife and kids got that money. My exit plan IS my insurance policy.
Well, whatever you decide to do just make it clean and do it away from home. No need for the Old lady or the Kid(s) to have to see Pops dangling from a rope or anything like that. Getting lost in the sea would be ideal from my point of view.
that would be the worst, there would be NO CLOSURE and many years till ur declared dead. Would put ur family members thru much undue worries.

I didn't say he should just sneak off and do himself in. I simply implied that if he's 4th or 5th stage anything and doesn't want to carry on,othen a little letter to the Old Lady explaining things and a nice little solo trip to an isolated beach might be the best thing for him. That's what I'd probably do anyway, but no bloated bodies washing up pn the beach in my case cause I'd take a nice boat ride well off shore to prevent that from ever happening.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

I don't think the pills and Jack would work for me. I have a bloody high tolerance for anything in pill form and the last thing I'd want to happen would be lying comatose on a bed for years while the Old Lady had to clean up after me. When I leave this big ball of nonsense I wanna do it clean with no strings attached and no remorse from me or anybody else.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:23 pm

I didn't say he should just sneak off and do himself in. I simply implied that if he's 4th or 5th stage anything and doesn't want to carry on,othen a little letter to the Old Lady explaining things and a nice little solo trip to an isolated beach might be the best thing for him. That's what I'd probably do anyway, but no bloated bodies washing up pn the beach in my case cause I'd take a nice boat ride well off shore to prevent that from ever happening.
without a body to grieve over??? thats terrible
Leaving a note means shit, as how many leave notes only wishing to disappear and in the eyes of the law ur not dead...
As Taa, gf has house, land that makes money and $$ in the bank, Daughter already has her first degree ( yea she decided to go for becoming an RN) but thats partially on her.

I truly feel sorry for any expat living in a foreign and that does not have a few grand set aside for emergencies and their own funeral, (here in Thailand thats about $1,500 all in ) :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

nembutal is very reliable and makes no mess. it was formerly used for State executions in USA and is so lethal, it is banned now in USA- even for executions!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I truly feel sorry for any expat living in a foreign and that does not have a few grand set aside for emergencies and their own funeral, (here in Thailand thats about $1,500 all in )"

You are wrong to assume I don't have that money and equally wrong to assume that at my age I consider a life threatening illness as an emergency as opposed to nature telling me it's checkout time.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Ronny wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:43 pmI too agree that there comes a point when a rational person should just say "To hell with this" and go back home but maybe many of these expats are too far gone at that point.
Maybe home is worse?

I think we can assume that in 99% of the cases..otherwise, why would long-termers be here?
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Locked Previous topicNext topic