where i find cheapest quality smartphone in phnompenh ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Re: where i find cheapest quality smartphone in phnompenh ?

Post by mauser765 »

Kuroneko wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:28 pmBut if they do it is doubtfull.
You're funny. :D
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

mauser765 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:45 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:28 pmBut if they do it is doubtfull.
You're funny. :D
Stop shooting your mouth off and show us your proof.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Kuroneko wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:28 pm
mauser765 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:35 pm It doesn't really matter in Cambodia, simply because ALL the service providers monitor stuff anyway, and regardless of what you're using, they can hear you.

It might matter in Sweden or Iceland, I don't know.
But if they do it is doubtfull they can decript your message.Everyone uses Cellcrypt, don't they?
I'm talking mostly about audio.

But if this forum..and others, can read your private messages, I'm sure a network could read your sms.

Whatsapp has been reported as a security threat to users.

The basic idea is - if a man can build it, another man can hack it.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

mauser765 wrote:
Kuroneko wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:28 pm
mauser765 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:35 pm It doesn't really matter in Cambodia, simply because ALL the service providers monitor stuff anyway, and regardless of what you're using, they can hear you.

It might matter in Sweden or Iceland, I don't know.
But if they do it is doubtfull they can decript your message.Everyone uses Cellcrypt, don't they?
I'm talking mostly about audio.

But if this forum..and others, can read your private messages, I'm sure a network could read your sms.

Whatsapp has been reported as a security threat to users.

The basic idea is - if a man can build it, another man can hack it.
SMS content can be seen by the operator quite easily actually, that's why most tech savvy people use OTT apps with encryption now (which still is not "hack proof" but it's still safer), but that's not what you said.

Audio cannot be heard or recorded. Obviously there are ways of doing it but to my knowledge as someone who worked in the industry, no operator has such systems in place or uses them here.

So again, what is your source for your comment that all operators can hear your conversations?

mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

If, as you claim, audio cannot be heard, why are there so many recorded conversations in the news?

You posted "Audio cannot be heard or recorded.'Your very next sentence was:

'Obviously there are ways of doing it'

So, let me get this straight, first you say it cannot be heard or recorded. In the very next sentence which YOU wrote, you say there are ways of doing it.

Next point: how do you explain the leaked conversations which have featured prominently in the news over the last few months?

Doh.

1. It's impossible!
2. It can obviously be done. You admit you worked in the industry. You obviously (hah, maybe you don't) know that Russia, China and Vietnam have interests in mobile networks here.
Are you seriously suggesting that none of these nations have the skill or expertise to hack audio? LOL. No wonder you don't work there anymore, no offence.
3. 'Show me your sources'.

Seriously, Sherlock? :ROFL:
Arthur Schopenhauer
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I said it could not be done by the operator as a network feature. But like you said yourself, anything is hackable.

You can hack audio and you do not have to be part of the operator to do it, there has been many articles on this, here is one for example http://9to5mac.com/2016/04/18/ss7-hack- ... ngressman/

So again. What's your source for saying operators in Cambodia record audio apart from saying that Russians, Chinese and Vietnamese have interests in operators here?

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 pm
What the f is cell crypt? Is that like Apple.
Cellcrypt - provides the highest level of protection against call and message interception, within a consumer-friendly app that can be used on virtually any off-the-shelf smartphone. Military grade, end-to-end encryption ensures the complete confidentiality and authenticity of voice calls and messages, even across the most vulnerable or hostile networks. https://www.cellcrypt.com/

Live Test of an Encrypted Call on Android phone using Cellcrypt Mobile

You could also use Silent Circle:
The Silent Phone App provides encrypted communications on any Android™ or iOS™ device.

Silent World calling extends the reach of Silent Phone to make or receive calls from standard mobiles or land lines.
With Silent World, calls have enhanced security over conventional calls. Your leg of the call is encrypted, keeping you safe from local eavesdropping threats. Communicate privately to mobile and landline phones anywhere in the world.https://www.silentcircle.com/
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Unless it's open source and peer reviewed I won't buy into the encryption debate.

To suggest that mobile operators can't record phone calls is ridiculous.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Digg3r wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:58 pm Unless it's open source and peer reviewed I won't buy into the encryption debate.
Check this out

JackPair: secure your voice phone calls against wiretapping
JackPair is an affordable tool that enables average citizens to protect themselves against wiretapping. It’s a pair of encryption devices you put in between your phone and headset, which are connected through standard 3.5mm audio jacks. You can secure your phone line by simply pushing the JackPair button, and your voice will be encrypted. There’s no password to remember, no software to install, no service to subscribe to, and it works with any phone through a standard audio jack.

Open Source Security
We plan to make it open source for the encryption software in JackPair. This allows our code to be scrutinized by the community and, if there’s any security hole, it’ll be identified & fixed quickly. We understand that security cannot be taken for granted and requires constant vigilance, and open source is a great way for the community to help out and for us to stay alert.

In addition to open source software, we intend to do open hardware for JackPair as well. The schematics and gerber-files will be publicly available to make it easier for everyone to review. The licenses we are considering so far is Creative Commons - Attribution - ShareAlike 3.0. Let us know if you have better ideas here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62 ... nversation
Digg3r wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:58 pm To suggest that mobile operators can't record phone calls is ridiculous.
Exactly:
How to intercept mobile communications (calls and messages) easily without hacking

Monitoring cell phones without their knowledge is growing rapidly in Latin America countries like Argentina, Mexico and Brazil after being very famous in US since 2008

The Stingray/ GSM interceptor/IMSI catcher is equipment that can gather data from hundreds of phones over targeted areas and they can also perform denial-of-service attacks on phones and intercept conversations. Though these products are not available legally but they can be bought through black markets or through deep web.

Law enforcement and the military use these devices to track cellphones. A stingray system involves an antenna, maps, and a signal device. The device mimics as a cellphone tower Base Transmitting Stations (BTS) and gets the phones in the area to connect to it. Then it collects International Mobile Subscriber Number (IMSI) and the Electronic Serial Number (ESM) numbers associated with the phone and can connect any phone.https://iicybersecurity.wordpress.com/2 ... t-hacking/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic