The sinking ship

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

The sinking ship

Post by mauser765 »

It will be interesting to see who runs, the latest closures of radio stations, tax claims against newspapers, new WP and visa rules certainly has a few getting their panties in a bunch.

So...are you leaving? For where?

I personally think things will be OK, so I'm staying.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Re: The sinking ship

Post by Babble »

What is the difference between running around selling yourself or just removing a few non-compliant companies to stack the odds in ones favour?

Nobody is running anywhere, ' war of worlds ' I for 1 am currently enjoying the backlash against the USA. Next stop removing Burger King, Krispy Crème and Carl's Junior, no wait! These are things that don't influence regime.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Babble, I'm with you re the USA, but I think you are mistaken ín your belief that 'nobody is running anywhere'.

It's not just a recent phenomenon.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

I think it will be a case of bye bye American pie for the main part. Those that can dodge it all, or think they can, will stay. Lots of teaching opportunities opening up soon?
See crook!!!
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

I was not suggesting it's a recent "something like a phenomenon" !

What and why would you run?

I'd suggest ride it out, possibly walk it out and then only if only it comes to it, sprint like Usain Bolt at the 'flash bang' of the starters gun! Which sounds ridiculous as this will be all orderly and by the law.

I'll bet 11 slices of a 12 slice pizza, you pay your way you stay. No free-riding! There will be no mass exodus or deportations, they will merely ask you to get your 'affairs' in order and carry on.

Although if I was American, I would feel less comfortable right about now, funk so brother.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Babble wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:16 pm I was not suggesting it's a recent "something like a phenomenon" !

What and why would you run?

I'd suggest ride it out, possibly walk it out and then only if only it comes to it, sprint like Usain Bolt at the 'flash bang' of the starters gun! Which sounds ridiculous as this will be all orderly and by the law.

I'll bet 11 slices of a 12 slice pizza, you pay your way you stay. No free-riding! There will be no mass exodus or deportations, they will merely ask you to get your 'affairs' in order and carry on.

Although if I was American, I would feel less comfortable right about now, funk so brother.

And what's being American got to do with anything? Is this new work permit-visa thing totally official now?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ronny wrote: And what's being American got to do with anything? Is this new work permit-visa thing totally official now?
1st question - Well, there is an rather large on-going problem and a war of words happening between the US and Cambodian governments right now. Are you following ?
Maybe you should check out these links. It's not sure, but it is possible that longterm Cambodian visas may become more difficult for US citizens because of this US-Cambodia spat. Or maybe not, but that's what it's got to do with being American.
newsworthy/impose-visa-restrictions-cam ... 15017.html
newsworthy/pro-gov-demonstration-planne ... 15009.html
newsworthy/democracy-cambodia-t14995.html

As for WP and visas, nothing is official. Maybe or maybe not. Don't panic. We'll see soon enough.
And if you are not even in Cambodia yet, then chill and wait until you want to move here. Visa laws are changing all the time. What's true today could be completely different tomorrow.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 pm
Ronny wrote: And what's being American got to do with anything? Is this new work permit-visa thing totally official now?
1st question - Well, there is an rather large on-going problem and a war of words happening between the US and Cambodian governments right now. Are you following ?
Maybe you should check out these links. It's not sure, but it is possible that longterm Cambodian visas may become more difficult for US citizens because of this US-Cambodia spat. Or maybe not, but that's what it's got to do with being American.

As for WP and visas, nothing is official. Maybe or maybe not. Don't panic. We'll see soon enough.
And if you are not even in Cambodia yet, then chill and wait until you want to move here. Visa laws are changing all the time. What's true today could be completely different tomorrow.
for the Cambodian government to single out Americans on issuance of a visa and jeopardize the amount of money that the US government gives in aid is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of. :please:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 pm

for the Cambodian government to single out Americans on issuance of a visa and jeopardize the amount of money that the US government gives in aid is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of. :please:
@ PR. Yes quite possible (that this is ridiculous). I am just passing on info for those who are not following the present US-Cambodia awkwardness.
As you know, things are not always logical here in the KOW. There is a big anti-US rhetoric by the Cambodian govt right now. That's all. Things may change.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:04 pm
As you know, things are not always logical here in the KOW. There is a big anti-US rhetoric by the Cambodian govt right now. That's all. Things may change.
The rhetoric is about US government interference in the region, and so far has not at all targeted US nationals who reside here. There is a distinction to be made there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic