The sinking ship

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The sinking ship

Post by Bertros »

Babble wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:10 am What is the difference between running around selling yourself or just removing a few non-compliant companies to stack the odds in ones favour?

Nobody is running anywhere, ' war of worlds ' I for 1 am currently enjoying the backlash against the USA. Next stop removing Burger King, Krispy Crème and Carl's Junior, no wait! These are things that don't influence regime.

Jealous much?

Just sayin'

Bertros ;-)
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

Ronny wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:21 pm
Babble wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:16 pm I was not suggesting it's a recent "something like a phenomenon" !

What and why would you run?

I'd suggest ride it out, possibly walk it out and then only if only it comes to it, sprint like Usain Bolt at the 'flash bang' of the starters gun! Which sounds ridiculous as this will be all orderly and by the law.

I'll bet 11 slices of a 12 slice pizza, you pay your way you stay. No free-riding! There will be no mass exodus or deportations, they will merely ask you to get your 'affairs' in order and carry on.

Although if I was American, I would feel less comfortable right about now, funk so brother.

And what's being American got to do with anything? Is this new work permit-visa thing totally official now?
Hi Ronny, no offense intended but I think you have the wrong forum. This is called the sinking ship ie USA.

The work permit-visa thing is completely not official yet. I wouldn't get too twisted, I'm sure when they release the prakas it will only contain 476 steps to remain in country and then the level of intelligence falls away and you just pay because "too many rule".
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

Bertros wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:51 pm
Babble wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:10 am What is the difference between running around selling yourself or just removing a few non-compliant companies to stack the odds in ones favour?

Nobody is running anywhere, ' war of worlds ' I for 1 am currently enjoying the backlash against the USA. Next stop removing Burger King, Krispy Crème and Carl's Junior, no wait! These are things that don't influence regime.

Jealous much?

Just sayin'

Bertros ;-)
Yes, man child I wish I was American. All my posts have clearly stated I wish I was American. Would you like salt with that?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

phuketrichard wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 pm
Ronny wrote: And what's being American got to do with anything? Is this new work permit-visa thing totally official now?
1st question - Well, there is an rather large on-going problem and a war of words happening between the US and Cambodian governments right now. Are you following ?
Maybe you should check out these links. It's not sure, but it is possible that longterm Cambodian visas may become more difficult for US citizens because of this US-Cambodia spat. Or maybe not, but that's what it's got to do with being American.
newsworthy/impose-visa-restrictions-cam ... 15017.html
newsworthy/pro-gov-demonstration-planne ... 15009.html
newsworthy/democracy-cambodia-t14995.html

As for WP and visas, nothing is official. Maybe or maybe not. Don't panic. We'll see soon enough.
And if you are not even in Cambodia yet, then chill and wait until you want to move here. Visa laws are changing all the time. What's true today could be completely different tomorrow.
for the Cambodian government to single out Americans on issuance of a visa and jeopardize the amount of money that the US government gives in aid is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of. :please:
He said he doesn't give a fig for U.S. monies no more
....uncle China is happy to make up the shortfall without any worries about "human rights" etc....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

Regarding the WP thing, there is no prakas yet but as of next week it will be in place, I was going to say effectively in place but that may be the wrong word, the guys working with this at the ministry will benenforcing it(in theory at least) so that kind of feels quite official.

As of leaving, no, just make sure everything is in order and everything will be bunting and frolic, those that are unable to do this will maybe leave but this kind of regulation has always been inevitable, it's development and that is something Cambodia needs. I understand the panic from many but it really kind of needs to happen, msybe police checks for teachers next. If many do leave however it will really impact the private school system, salaries for qualified, experienced teachers may well increase.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

As far as I see it, the only people this seemingly official immigration policy's really going to affect are some bottom-feeding foreign thieves and drug dealers and the like, and a few poor overstaying souls maybe, not that they were ever in a great place. Most of the others are probably going to bite the bullet and do the extra paperwork/fork out the extra cash. There will still be plenty of avenues open to stay in country.

As for the "crackdown on democracy", well I'm not convinced it ever was democratic. Changing times, changing methods is all it seems like to me.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:46 pm As far as I see it, the only people this seemingly official immigration policy's really going to affect are some bottom-feeding foreign thieves and drug dealers and the like, and a few poor overstaying souls maybe, not that they were ever in a great place. Most of the others are probably going to bite the bullet and do the extra paperwork/fork out the extra cash. There will still be plenty of avenues open to stay in country.
What about those of us who have outside income and don't work (and have no use fora WP) and are too young for ER? Are EG EOS multiple entry?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 pm
siliconlife wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:46 pm As far as I see it, the only people this seemingly official immigration policy's really going to affect are some bottom-feeding foreign thieves and drug dealers and the like, and a few poor overstaying souls maybe, not that they were ever in a great place. Most of the others are probably going to bite the bullet and do the extra paperwork/fork out the extra cash. There will still be plenty of avenues open to stay in country.
Work Permits Required For Long-term Visa Extensions
25/08/2017
Police officials at the Department of Immigration (part of the Ministry of Interior), which is located opposite the Phnom Penh International Airport and deals with visa extensions for foreigners, have confirmed that it will become compulsory for all foreign nationals to obtain an official work permit/employment card to be eligible to apply for a long-term extension to their ordinary “business” visa (also known as an EB visa).
These new rules are to come into effect from Monday 4 September, and will only apply to six-month and one-year visa extensions. Three-month EB visas for Cambodia can be obtained without a work permit/employment card, and extended indefinitely, but are only single entry compared to the multiple entry six-month and one-year EB visas.
All new foreign arrivals to Cambodia must purchase a one-month E-class visa, priced at $35 – not a tourist (T) visa – to be eligible for an EB extension. Currently, a one-month EB extension costs $50, three months is $80, six months is $160, and one year is $290 when purchased through an agent.
Work Permit applications
A work permit/employment card, which are two separate documents but can be applied for at the same time and considered as one application, costs $100 per year. Applications must be made online via the Ministry of Labour’s Foreign Workers Centralized Management System, which has been outsourced to a private company called E-Solutions (Cambodia) Co. Ltd. The fee to E-Solutions for the visa application process is $33. Applicants must have also undertaken a straight-forward health check at the Ministry, which costs $25. You can pay $60 to an agent to get your health certificate without going to the Ministry.
The online system has received substantial criticism, especially from foreigners frustrated with having their applications refused. Many of these are either self-employed or freelancing, although it is technically possible to successfully obtain a work permit/employment card for these types of workers. Individuals can get help with the application process from agents such as ‘Call Kim’ ([email protected] or 092 256 388), who charges a fee per application which varies on a case-by-case basis.
For foreigners currently living and working in Cambodia without a valid work permit/employment card, there are still ways to obtain an EB visa extension.
Immigration officials say they will accept an official letter from the individual’s employer guaranteeing that a work permit/employment card will eventually be arranged for the employee to cover 2017. Should immigration officials catch the individual without such documentation in 2018, their employers will be held responsible for paying late fees, which are reportedly set at $10 per day.
Retirement/Student Visas
Meanwhile, the Immigration Department has revealed two new types of visa – retirement visas (ER) and student visas (ES). The prices for these visas will match those for the EB visas, ie. $160 for six months and $290 for one year.
While the ES visa requires an official letter from the student’s educational institute confirming their enrolment, the ER requires absolutely no documentation from the retiree. However, if immigration officials catch an ER holder working in Cambodia, considerable fines and potentially jail time and deportation are to be imposed.
Non-working spouses can also apply for EB visas, but must provide a letter from the company employing their partner confirming their status in Cambodia in their visa application.
It is advised to foreign workers in Cambodia to keep a copy of their work permit/employment card on their person at all times.
Renewal period
The official period for renewal of a work permit/employment card is between January and March each year, although the Ministry of Labour has yet to confirm the exact details surrounding late payments. Much confusion arose from the Ministry’s new work permits applications initiative earlier this year, which saw an amnesty of retroactive fees applied to previous years working in Cambodia ($100 per year) granted for the entire month of April. This naturally angered those that had paid these fees on time before the end of March. There is no indication that another amnesty of retroactive fees will be granted again.
Companies must submit their Foreign Worker Quota Requests to the Ministry of Labour between September and November each year.

What about those of us who have outside income and don't work (and have no use fora WP) and are too young for ER? Are EG EOS multiple entry?
The tax on salary is a monthly tax imposed on salary that has been received within the framework of fulfilling employment activities. A physical person resident in the Kingdom of Cambodia is liable to the tax on salary for Cambodian source salary and foreign source salary.

http://tax.gov.kh/en/btos.php

No need to run, it's all clear. :bow:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:15 pm
The tax on salary is a monthly tax imposed on salary that has been received within the framework of fulfilling employment activities. A physical person resident in the Kingdom of Cambodia is liable to the tax on salary for Cambodian source salary and foreign source salary.

http://tax.gov.kh/en/btos.php

No need to run, it's all clear. :bow:
haha, do they consider the pathetic amount of rent I receive after costs on my Australian properties "salary"?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 pm
Actually, I'm in that boat too, except I'm working for international companies. But you could sign up to Khmer classes and get a student visa, as in Thailand, it sounds like, or apply for a freelancers permit, which you'd have to start you're own company for. Or just go on 3 month visas. Or bribe your way through. All of it amounts to basically a price/paperwork hike. And this is just going on the hearsay ricocheting about right now. What actually happens, we'll have to wait and see. It's clear their system is not up to the standards they intend to apply at such short notice. A good part of me is thinking "Good luck!" more to the Khmer bureaucracy than it is to us expats.

What happens between Cambodia and the USA during this diplomatic spat could be another story for US citizens in the KoW, although personally, I doubt Cambodia will shun the cash flow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic