Street 172

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Street 172

Post by bobsboots »

Finally moving to PP soon and as I have a good friend living near 172, I will stay there for 2 nights before heading down to Snooky for a well deserved break.
I have read, here on CEO, many disparaging comments about 172. Is it that bad ? Why?
I also notice that some posters quite like the place. I hear you can get a damn good English Brekkie there at Sony Side Up and Blue Dolphin ( Jamie would be able to confirm this) so it can't be all that bad.
When it comes to street 172, what is the general consensus here ?
And yes, thanks Trapper, we know what yours will be.....
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: Street 172

Post by soup »

The street is okay. Plenty of places to get what you want.

Stay away from the money exchange on the corner next to the laundry place. They have a bad exchange rate and they give out fake bills.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i always stay at the hometown suites on 172 and eat at the Blue Dolphin and down around the corner at Lonestar
plenty of choices for breakfast and just about any meal,just walk down the street.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It barely registered on the map when I lived here first, just a dark street at night with nothing much on it. Since then it's gotten very busy, partly because the Lakeside closed and there was a need for a more central backpacker type area. It's got some good restaurants along it, and some very average places. I haven't lived in the central area in ten years, but I spent a few months working on 172 last year. That was when I noticed there are quite a lot of weirdos around there during the day. I just ignore them myself, they are harmless in the main but I couldn't help noticing how wrecked some of them were. Other than that it's mostly just tourists passing through for a few days.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 pm i always stay at the hometown suites on 172 and eat at the Blue Dolphin and down around the corner at Lonestar
plenty of choices for breakfast and just about any meal,just walk down the street.
Have been hearing good stories about the choice of food there. How much is the room at Hometown ?
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

soup wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 pm The street is okay. Plenty of places to get what you want.

Stay away from the money exchange on the corner next to the laundry place. They have a bad exchange rate and they give out fake bills.
Thanks for the heads up.
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:56 pm It barely registered on the map when I lived here first, just a dark street at night with nothing much on it. Since then it's gotten very busy, partly because the Lakeside closed and there was a need for a more central backpacker type area. It's got some good restaurants along it, and some very average places. I haven't lived in the central area in ten years, but I spent a few months working on 172 last year. That was when I noticed there are quite a lot of weirdos around there during the day. I just ignore them myself, they are harmless in the main but I couldn't help noticing how wrecked some of them were. Other than that it's mostly just tourists passing through for a few days.
Sounds all right to me for a short stay. Lots of weirdos around, eh? I'm surprised Cam Nivag hasn't been there and done a head count.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

bobsboots wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:08 pmSounds all right to me for a short stay.
Thus begins yet another 'meet local woman, get married, have kids, stay for 20 years, become grizzled expat saga'.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

mauser765 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:24 pm
bobsboots wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:08 pmSounds all right to me for a short stay.
Thus begins yet another 'meet local woman, get married, have kids, stay for 20 years, become grizzled expat saga'.
Didn't realise you knew me and can judge people so confidently from a simple comment. Says a lot about you
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bobsboots wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:26 pm Finally moving to PP soon and as I have a good friend living near 172, I will stay there for 2 nights before heading down to Snooky for a well deserved break.
I have read, here on CEO, many disparaging comments about 172. Is it that bad ? Why?
I also notice that some posters quite like the place. I hear you can get a damn good English Brekkie there at Sony Side Up and Blue Dolphin ( Jamie would be able to confirm this) so it can't be all that bad.
When it comes to street 172, what is the general consensus here ?
And yes, thanks Trapper, we know what yours will be.....
no too familiar with the full english brekki scene in PP as i have a few favourite khmer noodle joints round the corner from my regular guesthouse that i stay at,
but i will be starting a thread in a couple of months as i will be on a mission to search for the best breakfasts in Phnom Penh/SHV etc
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic