Visa Extension Costs: Any Updates?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Visa Extension Costs: Any Updates?

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I've done a pretty deep-mining of the threads, both here and in the other Cambodian discussion fora, and it would seem that there was one guy / one outfit doing 12-month E-class visa extensions for under $200, but that he has since gone to ground.

Any news? I'd be most grateful not to have to pay $290 for a $175 item.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Visa Extension Costs: Any Updates?

Post by angkorjohn »

well the main thread was here ask-the-expats-questions-answers/best-v ... 61-30.html

but it was also on Phnom Penh Jobs Alert (you need to join) https://www.facebook.com/groups/2685067 ... query=visa

I'm sure Vladimir or Stroppy Chops can add more to this but I think the conclusion was despite lots of checking around it was a dead end so just pay the fee and suck it up
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

angkorjohn wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 pm well the main thread was herehttps://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/ask-the-expats-questions-answers/best-visa-shop-t12461-30.html

but it was also on Phnom Penh Jobs Alert (you need to join) https://www.facebook.com/groups/2685067 ... query=visa

I'm sure Vladimir or Stroppy Chops can add more to this but I think the conclusion was despite lots of checking around it was a dead end so just pay the fee and suck it up
That was the end message I think. But feel free to go to the immigration dept opposite the airport and try and get one for the scheduled price and let us know how you get on. :D
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I bit the bullet yesterday and went to a nearby travel agent -- which might have been a better move than I'd properly expected, considering that apparently the rules for 6- and 12-month extensions changed *today*? Is that true?

I base that on a post I saw in a Facebook forum about Cambodian visas, so it could be BS, but it's from a travel agent (who would have no incentive to discourage people), and the exact wording is as follows:

"All non-citizens are advised that from 24 August 2017, 6 month and 12 month visa extensions require work permit or work certificate to apply."

I *assume* this is BS, since otherwise the discussion fora would be blowing up all over about it -- but I'd be curious if anyone else has heard anything like this.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

2 different travel agencies said teh same on fb today
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Will a different E-class be available without a WP or Work Certificate, or is this the end of the road for that?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Does that apply to retirement visas?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

There is *considerable* uncertainty on the facebook page in question, regarding whether this is just fake news. Apparently the travel agencies posting this story are also offering to sell people the work permit, so it could well turn out to be nonsense.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Which Travel Agencies?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

A photographer i know in PP just posted this on FB:
In the last couple of years, together with some of the members of the OPCC (Overseas Press Club of Cambodia), we asked the ministry of information what was the right thing to do regarding the work permit for freelance journalists and the response we received was pretty much a "don't worry, just do anything, we don't know how to deal with that".

Just got this from the OPCC's president.

As of Sept. 1 no long term visas will be issued to foreigners without work permits. If freelancers can apply today or tomorrow they will need to give the address of their Cambodian employer. My usual agent told me foreign news agencies don't count though this had not been confirmed by the govt.
NO idea what this means for those wishing a ER extension or those not working on an EB extension now.. .So will they still issue u a Ordinary visa on arrival

There getting all their ducks lined up as i said they would ,Just took a few years longer but hey,its Cambodia...... LOL
No more easy rides and easy long term visas.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic