Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm
its not creepy to sit alone outside a riverside bar/restaurant, just because you get the odd creep down there, in most circumstances i dont think its creepy to sit alone anywhere, sometimes its nice to be alone
It’s only certain places. Mekong river restaurant and Cadillac, those were creeper places to avoid.

Everyone knows Jamie that you’re not the sexpat creeper anyway and tend to avoid hostess bars in general.
Living on riverside I see this sort of behaviour a lot. Then again as OP said, maybe 90% of the tourists and expats on riverside are guys and many alone. Perhaps not surprising being co-located to the hostess bars and red light district of PP. And what are they all there for? Let's face it, not all but many...the girls. And there's more than the odd creep out there on the hunt imo.
riverside is popular because its the riverside and its foreigner friendly, outside of Daum Penh though, its not really set up for tourists is it,

and compared to the large number of blokes sat alone drinking in bars in redlight areas in Thailand, one barely batters an eyelid down the riverside :plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....maybe 90% of the tourists and expats on riverside are guys ...
:please:
sorry, it has never looked that way to me
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Nothing wrong to be comfortable spending time on your own but its often easy to see if its by choice. Well dressed, clean, nice haircut, looks happy VS dirty, broken clothes, eyes of a rapist, piss-stains etc.

Got to be quite rare for single women to travel from west to Cambodia to meet men thus we dont see them.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I think its creepy to travel the world under a pseudonym, have a twitter account, a large online presence, and never once take a photo of yourself and post it. Whats to hide?

A camera lens turned outward, with a critical view on everyone else, while working overtime to reveal the darkest secrets of others, without ever revealing anything about oneself. That's creepy.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Albror wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm Nothing wrong to be comfortable spending time on your own but its often easy to see if its by choice. Well dressed, clean, nice haircut, looks happy VS dirty, broken clothes, eyes of a rapist, piss-stains etc.

Got to be quite rare for single women to travel from west to Cambodia to meet men thus we dont see them.
Most Barang women wouldn't find the Khmer men any kind of catch, or attractive mates. Unless they are also here with yellow fever and like the young ladies, they might be quite miserable. The men here, by and large are not interested in western women. Not their bodies or their minds.

The most miserable men are the ones who have came with their wives. Poor saps.

I like being alone. I am thus a loner. Its freedom to me. I move on a whim without discussion or negotiation. When I am with my GF, I lead, she follows. "Up to you" she says. I try to consider her needs and her preferences though, but she is content and never complains. Its blissful.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

RickyBobby wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:46 pm I think its creepy to travel the world under a pseudonym, have a twitter account, a large online presence, and never once take a photo of yourself and post it. Whats to hide?

A camera lens turned outward, with a critical view on everyone else, while working overtime to reveal the darkest secrets of others, without ever revealing anything about oneself. That's creepy.
in fairness on his actual FB account, he openly posts pictures of himself on his travels, so that statement isnt entirely true
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:59 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:46 pm I think its creepy to travel the world under a pseudonym, have a twitter account, a large online presence, and never once take a photo of yourself and post it. Whats to hide?

In fairness on his actual FB account, he openly posts pictures of himself on his travels, so that statement isn't entirely true
Ok, my bad, and I apologize. You are one of the few rare ones and brave enough to be here on your own name. I highly respect that. You and Hanno and Roz. Good on you.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Albror wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm Nothing wrong to be comfortable spending time on your own but its often easy to see if its by choice. Well dressed, clean, nice haircut, looks happy VS dirty, broken clothes, eyes of a rapist, piss-stains etc.

This.

Reminds me how one day my GF said to me nonchalantly on the back of the moto: why many older barang walking look angry? And I thought about it..it's often true, some walk around with a permanent scowl on their face.

Then another time she asked: why are there dirty barang? Now, I think she defines that as not necessarily unclean but uncut/unkept hair, unshaven, broken clothes, sleeveless shirt et al.

Then she'll say: Oh, my mother told me I shouldn't talk down about people..like trying to remind herself not to do it. But I have to admit the way some barang look must be mind boggling for local khmers when you consider how low paid tuk tuk and moto guys where their livelihood is being seriously disrupted by Grab and Passapp indian tuks tuks somehow still manage to look relatively clean.

Trying to be non judgemental but sometimes it's hard not to notice these things.

A bit off topic of creepy but sort of related..
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:35 pm

This.

Reminds me how one day my GF said to me nonchalantly on the back of the moto: why many older barang walking look angry? And I thought about it..it's often true, some walk around with a permanent scowl on their face.

Then another time she asked: why are there dirty barang? Now, I think she defines that as not necessarily unclean but uncut/unkept hair, unshaven, broken clothes, sleeveless shirt et al.

Then she'll say: Oh, my mother told me I shouldn't talk down about people..like trying to remind herself not to do it. But I have to admit the way some barang look must be mind boggling for local khmers when you consider how low paid tuk tuk and moto guys where their livelihood is being seriously disrupted by Grab and Passapp indian tuks tuks somehow still manage to look relatively clean.

Trying to be non judgemental but sometimes it's hard not to notice these things.

I think allot of people just go here and think that just because its a poor country nothing matters or that they dont have to care and still are attractive because of their white skin. Actually i have meet many barangs during my time who think they are a girls highest dream drinking 50cent beers in Sorya mall with dirty clothes only because they are white and have some money. I try to point out that its because they are meth-addicted hookers but its hard to get through their thick drunken skulls. Its not like they came here because they gave a shit about anything to begin with so its kind of self explaining.

Anyway.....My mother and sisters have visited me twice here in Cambodia and they were amazed how nice and clean everyone looked. Even the local bum near my home have long pants and a shirt without rips.

At the same time you see a male tourist passing with shorter shorts then even a cambodian hooker would wear outside.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Albror wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:05 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:35 pm

This.

I think allot of people just go here and think that just because its a poor country nothing matters or that they dont have to care and still are attractive because of their white skin. Actually i have meet many barangs during my time who think they are a girls highest dream drinking 50cent beers in Sorya mall with dirty clothes only because they are white and have some money. I try to point out that its because they are meth-addicted hookers but its hard to get through their thick drunken skulls. Its not like they came here because they gave a shit about anything to begin with so its kind of self explaining.

Anyway.....My mother and sisters have visited me twice here in Cambodia and they were amazed how nice and clean everyone looked. Even the local bum near my home have long pants and a shirt without rips.

At the same time you see a male tourist passing with shorter shorts then even a cambodian hooker would wear outside.

Your mother and sister may have second thoughts if they had seen the state of the rooms some of those nice clean people lived in .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic