Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

im still trying to figure out whats more creepy...

people sitting around the riverside alone in a bar or restaurant minding their own business
or
walking around the riverside alone counting how many solo white guys were sat eating/drinking alone
or
walking around the riverside alone taking photos of topless white guys

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 am im still trying to figure out whats more creepy...

people sitting around the riverside alone in a bar or restaurant minding their own business
or
walking around the riverside alone counting how many solo white guys were sat eating/drinking alone
or
walking around the riverside alone taking photos of topless white guys
Posting photos of people you dont know, and making insinuations about them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm
its not creepy to sit alone outside a riverside bar/restaurant, just because you get the odd creep down there, in most circumstances i dont think its creepy to sit alone anywhere, sometimes its nice to be alone
It’s only certain places. Mekong river restaurant and Cadillac, those were creeper places to avoid.

Everyone knows Jamie that you’re not the sexpat creeper anyway and tend to avoid hostess bars in general.
Certainly, that corner of Mekong River and Deja Vu on 118 does seem to be voyeur capital. Walk across that intersection and yuh, there are a lot of eyes looking at who's coming by. Same Cadillac.

To my mind, it's not simply the act of sitting alone on riverside that is creepy, it's what guys do and the behaviour they exhibit that could be construed as such. So minding your own business whether that be reading a book, using your phone, eating, using your laptop, having a coffee is obviously OK.

However, lets say the guys are actively perving as opposed to just watching the world go by.. that's different. Chatting up/negotiating terms with a passing freelancer is another. Chatting up the waitress thinking they are all available at a price is another. Dudes chatting up the child trinket sellers with no intention of buying anything or beggars is another. All these things to my mind have a creep factor. Sure, we can argue the extent of it..

Living on riverside I see this sort of behaviour a lot. Then again as OP said, maybe 90% of the tourists and expats on riverside are guys and many alone. Perhaps not surprising being co-located to the hostess bars and red light district of PP. And what are they all there for? Let's face it, not all but many...the girls. And there's more than the odd creep out there on the hunt imo.

Maybe I'm biased somewhat too coz I hear a lot from Mrs Cargo about sleazy/creepy guys trying to hit on her all the time thinking all girls are up for grabs.. And some of these guys don't seem to see any difference between a restaurant and a hostess bar. Now chatting up the waitress is perhaps in itself not creepy but imo it's the way its done that can be creepy.

A few examples. Like the guy that said come to my place and I'll cook you dinner and you can teach me khmer. Then added, oh and I have a spare room if you want to sleep.. Or the other guy that gives his contact details without asking whether my GF has a BF or husband and then comes back days later and and exclaims: why didn't you call me? Then gets angry and says fook off bitch. Or the dude that accidentally drops the serviette so he can have a perv at the waitress bending over or the ones that blatantly stare at the girls up and down.

If the sort of behaviours I mentioned above make people feel unpleasant, a bit fearful or uneasy then in my book, it's creepy.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I sometimes eat at DeJa vu because I like the food I order. Sometimes I read the paper, sometimes I check and use phone or sometimes I sit with thumb up bum mind in neutral considering whatever is on my mind.

Yep you see the odd silly person but mainly people eating and enjoying the view of the river traffic or the people.

I don't judge people and don't expect them to judge me because of where I choose to sit and eat.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

If you’re worried about guys hitting on Mrs. Cargo when you’re not around then you better forbid her from attending weddings by herself, too.

Missus just came back from a wedding where a Chinese guy who spoke Khmer sat next to her. Overly nice to her all evening - almost to the point of cutting her food for her. Finally he got her to friend him on Facebook. Saw that she was clearly not single. Got earful in Chinese from his friends sitting next to him.

But that’s part of the fun of just sitting outside and people watching. To be a spectator in the ever changing game of other people’s lives.

I don’t get to do it much, unfortunately.
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:36 am Finally he got her to friend him on Facebook.
Whaaat . . . a guy was acting very interested in her . . . and so she added him on Facebook? She should have said no . . . or mention she was married.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:06 pm

It makes me feel superior.

in a nutshell
pebbles&nightsky
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

I was just sitting in Burger King (but not alone), and I suddenly realized that at least half of the patrons were sitting alone. There was even a young woman sitting alone. Does that make her a creepy pervert? It seemed most people were just concentrating on their meals, but a casual observer will see whatever is playing in THEIR MIND.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Paulo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 pm I was just sitting in Burger King (but not alone), and I suddenly realized that at least half of the patrons were sitting alone. There was even a young woman sitting alone. Does that make her a creepy pervert? It seemed most people were just concentrating on their meals, but a casual observer will see whatever is playing in THEIR MIND.
Anyone that eats in a Burger King is automatically creepy!

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

The Suk Straggler wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:06 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:36 am Finally he got her to friend him on Facebook.
Whaaat . . . a guy was acting very interested in her . . . and so she added him on Facebook? She should have said no . . . or mention she was married.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic