Trial of two African men for fabrication of $2M counterfeit bills.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Trial of two African men for fabrication of $2M counterfeit bills.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh:

Ministry of Interior sent two men, a 37 year-old Sierra Leonean and a 48 year-old Libyan man, to the Phnom Penh Court for a prosecution on 14 August, 2017. They are accused of bringing a counterfeit machine with them into Cambodia in order to fabricate fake dollar bills.
The police recovered more than $2M dollars of counterfeit money at the men's residence.
The court has not completed its investigation into this case yet, so no verdict was given and the final trial date has yet to be announced.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Trial of two men for fabrication of $2M counterfeit bills.

Post by Bertros »

Just curious what y'all think is the percentage of counterfeit USA bills floating around in cambo?

I've held a few over the years I was pretty sure were dodgy.
I got rid of them 1st chance. If you are caught with these in the US (for example), at the bank, etc., they just confiscate them
with no reimbursement (your loss). I don't mean the fake 100's you see now and again they burn for good luck-but the ones that get passed around.

couple bucks wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd have kitten if I got hung with a couple fake 50's or 100's.

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Bertros wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:40 am Just curious what y'all think is the percentage of counterfeit USA bills floating around in cambo?

I've held a few over the years I was pretty sure were dodgy.
I got rid of them 1st chance. If you are caught with these in the US (for example), at the bank, etc., they just confiscate them
with no reimbursement (your loss). I don't mean the fake 100's you see now and again they burn for good luck-but the ones that get passed around.

couple bucks wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd have kitten if I got hung with a couple fake 50's or 100's.

cheers

I would guess a very small percentage of US dollars floating around are actually 'fake.' Seems they come in bursts around town. I did see someone use a fake $20 at a club. It was a Barang. Shame on them.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Trial of two African men for fabrication of $2M counterfeit bills.

Post by General Mackevili »

And I just realized that the courthouse in Phnom Penh must be right across the street from Dominos Pizza, as this is the same place that Mark Vandewater was photographed:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 pmI would guess a very small percentage of US dollars floating around are actually 'fake.' Seems they come in bursts around town. I did see someone use a fake $20 at a club. It was a Barang. Shame on them.
I gave a legit $100 at a certain Australian mini-mart in TTP the other night and it caused a ruckus - they didn't like the "feel" of the paper, it was a new note. It went around for a while and I eventually opened my wallet and showed that I wasn't carrying enough cash to pay for my purchases otherwise, and they looked at me and shrugged and said "well okay!" Clearly our reputation carried the day, but I wish it had carried the day at the start of the payment.

Also, I have to ask, and I apologise now - will the Sierra Leonean be a Felonean if he's found guilty? Sierraously?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 pm And I just realized that the courthouse in Phnom Penh must be right across the street from Dominos Pizza, as this is the same place that Mark Vandewater was photographed:
The courthouse used to be a bit further down the block, I was surprised when the new one opened right opposite the main entrance to City Mall.
Bertros wrote:Just curious what y'all think is the percentage of counterfeit USA bills floating around in cambo?
I don't know, and nearly all the cash I spend comes from ATMs and money changers are quite fastidious so I've never had any issues. I'd imagine you could easily get battered to death if you tried to pass off a dodgy note to someone here. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:27 pm Also, I have to ask, and I apologise now - will the Sierra Leonean be a Felonean if he's found guilty? Sierraously?
Stroppy, next time don't leave your laptop unattended when you have vlad around for dinner. :facepalm:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:29 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:27 pm Also, I have to ask, and I apologise now - will the Sierra Leonean be a Felonean if he's found guilty? Sierraously?
Stroppy, next time don't leave your laptop unattended when you have vlad around for dinner. :facepalm:
You know, that exact thought occurred to me as I was writing that post...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Fun fact - Sierra Leone is where we sent the black people who didn't want to be American, hence Freetown.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:04 pm Fun fact - Sierra Leone is where we sent the black people who didn't want to be American, hence Freetown.
Liberia too! Don't forget Liberia!

cheers

A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic