GoFundMe - Yay or Nay?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: GoFundMe - Yay or Nay?

Post by timmydownawell »

What about this chick (if you follow Australian news). She had an affair with her Channel Seven boss. Got paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by the network in return for which she agreed not to reveal it. Then she went public and got taken to court by Seven and lost. Now she has started a gofundme to try to avoid going bankrupt. What happened to the money they paid her? Silly cow. Why should anyone pay for her poor judgement?

http://www.bandt.com.au/media/amber-har ... egal-bills
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

saigonjackpot wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 pm
saigonjackpot wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm Ok lets start a go fund me

Im off to angeles city in the philipines to drink and get whores and hand gamble my arse off.

Please fund me here .....

Worth of pineapples....
its ok, you can fuck girls for free everynight 10/10 bruh *highfive*
Thats in phuket
you only have game in Phuket?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Im off to angeles city in the philipines to drink and get whores and hand gamble my arse off.

Worth of pineapples....
Thats in phuket
I know SEA like the back of my hand.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

saigonjackpot wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Worth of pineapples....
Thats in phuket
as we all know lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Essential service. But as with all begging, there are a lot of unworthy causes about.
See crook!!!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Nay for me. I just looked at the website and the top 3 fundraising categories were :

1) Medical Fundraising - The one I seem to hear the most about in Thailand due to a lack of insurance. Take personal responsibility.
2) Memorial Fundraising - We go up the chimney here, nothing fancy, and an extra whip round at the temple usually does the trick. If you want the luxury of being flown home for a western funeral get a funeral plan or decent insurance again, personal responsibility.
3) Charitable Fundraising - I'm very cynical at the cost of Charity these days and whether the largest sector of it is counter productive and self-perpetuating.

I have been part of "Kickstarter" campaigns before which is more in tune with what I see as worthy causes, which are business start-ups with a good innovative product connecting directly with the consumer for advance funding. You get a good deal on the product in return.

Each to their own, people that have earnt their money can do with it what they want.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

saigonjackpot wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm
:D

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pmI have been part of "Kickstarter" campaigns before which is more in tune with what I see as worthy causes, which are business start-ups with a good innovative product connecting directly with the consumer for advance funding. You get a good deal on the product in return.
I was an original backer of the Oculus Rift Kickstarter - and years later was delighted when I got an email saying that Oculus (or the parent company Facebook) was sending me the full retail kit as a thanks. I'm still getting around to plugging it in as I'm too busy to disappear down the rabbit hole just now, but looking forward to it. The original developer's kit had 9/10 people hurling.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

StroppyChops wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pmI have been part of "Kickstarter" campaigns before which is more in tune with what I see as worthy causes, which are business start-ups with a good innovative product connecting directly with the consumer for advance funding. You get a good deal on the product in return.
I was an original backer of the Oculus Rift Kickstarter - and years later was delighted when I got an email saying that Oculus (or the parent company Facebook) was sending me the full retail kit as a thanks. I'm still getting around to plugging it in as I'm too busy to disappear down the rabbit hole just now, but looking forward to it. The original developer's kit had 9/10 people hurling.
One of my friends has one. It's awesome however still limited content. I plan on getting one or the HTC vive in a year or so when the market matures a bit.

cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic