Eddie Smith, microlight pilot in Siem Reap, needs help

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Eddie Smith, microlight pilot in Siem Reap, needs help

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 am i have never had insurance and wont buy into the scam.
Insurance companies betting u wont get sick or have an accident, u putting ur money down, betting you will, so u get paid back.
NO Thanks
nothing to do with cant afford it either...

+ over a certain age ( around 62) try and get it...
You have made your views clear before. I hope I never see a post by your relatives begging for money........
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

hanno wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:51 am
Ronny wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:32 pm Most of you guys are VERY far from home and I guarantee most of you could fork out $60,000+ on a few days notice so again, get of your high horses.
That is why I have insurance....
Yeah, but how much will your insurance cover a $60,000+ hospital bill? Insurance can help only so much,
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 am i have never had insurance and wont buy into the scam.
Insurance companies betting u wont get sick or have an accident, u putting ur money down, betting you will, so u get paid back.
NO Thanks

You have made your views clear before. I hope I never see a post by your relatives begging for money........
You have made ur point before as well....so what>??? :stir:

not a Chance in Hell :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

taabarang wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 am
Khartoum wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:02 am
hanno wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:51 amThat is why I have insurance....
This. It's not an especially difficult concept.

For those of you who can afford it or have an employer pay for it, count your blessings, but no need to assume a condescending attitude toward those can't. "Not an especially difficult concept" Are you quoting Donald Trump?
This is an aspect of Western culture that one would think Barangs/Farangs would have left behind when they decided to leave it all and live as an expat abroad, but a lot of them like to bring their dirty luggage with them. This of course means that some of these expat guys and gals still have to stick out their chests (or breasts) and prove to everybody that they are better off than the other expats around them by having a bigger house or apartment, a nicer car, more money, a better lifestyle, or in this case, health insurance. It's really childish if you think about it, but it's even more ridiculous when probably none of the people posting here have ever met each other personally and have no idea who is really better off than the next guy. Heck, I'm not at all hurting financially and I probably have it better than most but even I don't have health insurance right now. I must admit that that will change if I go to Cambodia but here in Thailand, I prefer to just pay in cash as I am healthy and almost never sick and have been lucky on the mad roads of Bangkok. So yeah, this condescending attitude that a lot of expats have is really unnecessary because the reality is that ALL of us could fall on our asses hard any time, and because we are living half way across the world away from friends and family, out safety net is much thinner than it would be if we were still living back home.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

For those of you who can afford it or have an employer pay for it, count your blessings, but no need to assume a condescending attitude toward those can't. "Not an especially difficult concept" Are you quoting Donald Trump?
I would add that I don't think getting health insurance is a bad idea. It's not as if the price would be astronomical, right? Why not fork out a few 1000$$$ a year to cover yourself and not end up in the same situation as this Eddie guy? I mean, if you're hurting so bad that you can't even afford health insurance then maybe it's time to go back home for awhile until you have more money.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Khartoum wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:32 am Can buy flying machine, but can not get insurance. If one decides to get their priorities out of order then so be it. Condescending? I don't think so; for many, insurance is a prerequisite.
I guess I'll have to agree and disagree with you at the same time. Yes, there are plenty of obnoxious and condescending farangs/barangs out there who like to think they're better off than the next guy and that entitles them to be as obnoxious and condescending as possible. For me, I seldom even speak with expats because I don't have to but every now and then when I go to get a new visa or whatever I inevitably come across some middle-aged balding prick who walks around with a scowl on his face thinking he's better than everybody else because he just bought a $200,000 house for his hooker girlfriend/wife. It's kinda amusing, actually. As for getting priorities straight, I agree with you. If you're out there boozing it up almost every night without a care in the world and then you get sick and find yourself needing emergency treatment but you don't have any insurance or $$$, then you kinda deserve what you get.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

NO Thanks

Most of us are aware of your ideology when it comes to healthcare, Phuket, so you lie in that special group of people who refuse health insurance out of principle. However, your principle does not extend to the old lady or the young ones, right? And your attitude concerning health insurance is to be commended as you will undoubtedly "cross over" with as little fuss as possible and you will not be a financial burden to the loved ones. Who could argue with that?
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

angkorjohn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am
hanno wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:32 am
Not condescending at all, if you cannot afford insurance then maybe it is better to return home (assuming you are from a country that has free healthcare).

However, I have met plenty of people who refuse to pay for insurance out of principle (there are quite a few on this forum as well). Fine, but I think people that have family and are not insured are reckless if not outright criminal. And I have come across plenty of people who bemoaned not being able to afford insurance whilst quaffing their 8th beer of the day.
Yes I agree with this depending on age etc you can get a reasonable health insurance package for under $100 a month. Those who say they cant afford it are often those who will quite happily drop $100 on a night out down 136
That's exactly what I'm saying. If you can't afford to pay a little over a grand a year to get health insurance then you really shouldn't be living halfway across the world. But if you're doing that, then you have no business bitching when you get sick and can't afford to get yourself treated.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

hanno wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 am
NO Thanks

55555, something tells me that's never going to happen. Phuket has made it clear that a good shot of morphine or a bottle of booze and a very sharp object for cutting veins or penetrating vital organs is all he needs for his "health insurance" when the time comes. And who can argue with him?
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Ronny wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:38 amThat's exactly what I'm saying. If you can't afford to pay a little over a grand a year to get health insurance then you really shouldn't be living halfway across the world.
Isn't that precisely the reason why so many people in that predicament DO live here?

Life back home got too expensive, lower COL or higher SOL here for the buck?
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic