Driving licence

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Driving licence

Post by willyhilly »

How long does it take to get a drivers Licence from lucky lucky? I mean the actual card.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Driving licence

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

willyhilly wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:24 am How long does it take to get a drivers Licence from lucky lucky? I mean the actual card.
beaker wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:42 am I just renewed my license at Lucky Motors $35. The process has changed.

This time they wanted 4 pictures,previous license and original passport. They only gave a receipt instead of a combo reciept/temporary license

They kept the passport for 3 days then returned it with a funky renewed "paper" licence (in a clear plastic cover).
Previous renewals took about a month and where plastic with a hologram and they did not keep your passport.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Also got mine renewed in the past fortnight, haven't yet heard back. The receipt is enough for your average tea-money blockade.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

What are the laws on driving licences in Cambodia for a westerner? And what are the costs?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:39 pm What are the laws on driving licences in Cambodia for a westerner? And what are the costs?
No different to the laws for locals. You can either undergo a driving test for around $180 (or just pay $200 if you don't think you'll pass) or take an existing valid license from your passport country to Lucky Lucky (or, I presume, others) and pay them around $50 in the first year (may have changed) and they'll lawfully get you one without a test. Renewals are $35.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

There's a kiosk at Aeon Mall for renewals for licensed drivers that haven't spotted it yet, btw - near the cluster of optometrists.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:45 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:39 pm What are the laws on driving licences in Cambodia for a westerner? And what are the costs?
No different to the laws for locals. You can either undergo a driving test for around $180 (or just pay $200 if you don't think you'll pass) or take an existing valid license from your passport country to Lucky Lucky (or, I presume, others) and pay them around $50 in the first year (may have changed) and they'll lawfully get you one without a test. Renewals are $35.
Ana Travel in SHV was $60 last time i checked for a new license
then $35 for renewals each year i think
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 pm There's a kiosk at Aeon Mall for renewals for licensed drivers that haven't spotted it yet, btw - near the cluster of optometrists.
have read in many places ,thats ONLY for Khmers
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:15 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 pm There's a kiosk at Aeon Mall for renewals for licensed drivers that haven't spotted it yet, btw - near the cluster of optometrists.
have read in many places ,thats ONLY for Khmers
Good to know - I'll go and check that next time I'm in there, which is as infrequently as possible.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

New licenses look so cheap... Got mine not long ago.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic