Thailand e-cigarette warning; fine or jail for possession.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thailand e-cigarette warning; fine or jail for possession.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Travel agents warn of Thai e-cig import ban
August 15, 2017 14:44
By The Nation
British travel agents are being urged to warn customers about a Thai law that prohibits e-cigarettes being brought into the country, the Travelweekly website has reported.

The UK website quoted Pat Waterton, manager at Langley Travel, who said she was unaware of the ban until her nephew, James, paid a £125 (Bt5,400) “fine” after being threatened with jail for having an e-cigarette in Bangkok,

Travelweekly said advice on the UK Foreign Office website includes a paragraph stating: “These items are likely to be confiscated and you could be fined or sent to prison for up to 10 years if convicted.”

Waterton told the UK website: “I got a message from my sister saying James had been arrested in Thailand because he had an e-cigarette. He managed to pay the policeman, who had told him he could go to jail. Ten years seems a long time to go to prison for smoking an e-cigarette.”

A spokesman for the Tourism Authority of Thailand reiterated the UK government’s advice, warning tourists not to bring e-cigarettes into the country...
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand e-cigarette warning; fine or jail for possession.

Post by MikeMike58 »

Thank God, Thailand finally has its priorities straight.

ImageImage
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

This is really shit news. I've been vaping like a madman, and now this? I need to find a new planet to inhabit.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

:Yahoo!: As if I needed another reason not to go to Thailand but I'll add it to the list anyway.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

General Mackevili wrote:This is really shit news. I've been vaping like a madman, and now this? I need to find a new planet to inhabit. Image

Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 am I need to find a new planet to inhabit. Image
Do you have a gofundme set up yet?

just sayin'...might move things along. :D

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The law is clear about e-cigs in Thailand and as been for a number of years. It is too also illegal here in Cambodia.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Just returned from a few days travelling and can almost cite the new e-cigarette warnings that are constantly broadcast on AirAsia - don't use it, turn it off, take the batteries out, legal requirement. It's no more entertaining in foreign languages, either.

Side-note: have you ever noticed that all the cautionary PSAs on Asian airlines are primarily in English first, then followed by the language of the point of origin for the flight? All the fun stuff is in the native language first... what's great is that the "don't be a prick" PSAs are now also happening in Chinese. Given all the nasty Heard of Chinese Tourists behaviour I've just endured, I think all the negatives should be in Chinese first, second, and third. I also think hostesses should be encouraged to ram the phone down the throat of the person (of any nationality) that has to be told 5 times consecutively to turn the damned thing off, but that's just me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 am This is really shit news. I've been vaping like a madman, and now this? I need to find a new planet to inhabit. Image
What's happening over there? Are they legal now? What's the punishment, public flogging?

United Arab Emirates
E-cigarettes are banned for both sale and import in the United Arab Emirates (including Dubai), which has been in place since at least 2009. The reasoning is the concern that they’ll undermine anti-smoking efforts and lure young people into addiction, as well as the apparent health hazards. The rule hasn’t prevented illegal trade, and there are claims that the ban may be lifted in favor of regulated sale in the future. Until then, though, taking e-cigs with you to the UAE isn’t a good idea
See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

YIKES :facepalm:

10 years!!
Vaping, the popular alternative to smoking cigarettes, might be OK where you come from, but in Thailand sucking on your favourite ‘vape’, or even bringing them into the country, could put put you in a Thai prison for ten years.

https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/vapi ... hai-prison
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic