Max, Yin Yang, Snooky

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Max, Yin Yang, Snooky

Post by lordofmisrule »

Thinking about the lakeside got me curious about another place/person. His name was Max and he had the Yin Yang guesthouse on Victory Hill in Snooky. This was the late nineties and Victory Hill was not as it is now, as you drove up the hill you took a left and another left onto basically wasteground and it was here the Yin Yang was, Max sold weed in tobacco pouches for $5 dollars and kept a poor pet monkey chained up in the yard.
I guess he left soon after, I remember him saying to me, " first come the hippies and the freaks, then come the backpackers and then the tourists. When the backpackers get here I leave." Or something of that nature. Spring any memories for anyone?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Max, Yin Yang, Snooky

Post by Username Taken »

Yes, I remember Max. German guy with long hair. Last I saw him was 2000.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Max is doing good and kicking. He has been living in SHV for as long as I can remember. Pm for more details if and only you wish him well.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:43 pm Max is doing good and kicking. He has been living in SHV for as long as I can remember. Pm for more details if and only you wish him well.
spoken like a true regular :lol:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:43 pm Max is doing good and kicking. He has been living in SHV for as long as I can remember. Pm for more details if and only you wish him well.
I do wish him well but while I remember him, he will not remember me, good to hear he is fine and still here though, he made a good impression on a young backpacker back then
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Yes, I remember that place well and the monkey he had chained to a tree. He hosted or at least participated in a roving chess tournament. I never stayed there but drank beers with him. He made a dynamite sauerkraut.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

taabarang wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 pm Yes, I remember that place well and the monkey he had chained to a tree. He hosted or at least participated in a roving chess tournament. I never stayed there but drank beers with him. He made a dynamite sauerkraut.
I actually never stayed there either, stayed a little further up the hill but went there to drink and to purchase some local herblife, I believe it was a fiver for a tobacco pouch stuffed full. I remember a couple of expats spending a good five minutes getting on thier Xr's to leave one particular night after much of the herb, it may have been posters here, who knows?

There was another bar owned partly by a London cabbie too, can't think of the name though.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"There was another bar owned partly by a London cabbie too, can't think of the name though."

I may be wrong, but I think it was called Mick and Craig's.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Yes it would be Mick and Craigs, but it wasn't on the hill. Mick was a London cabbie. He died about 4 years ago. RIP
Craig was telling me last year that it is getting more and more difficult to make a profit as most visitors were heading to the islands now.

Others in Snooky during that era were, Chuck ('s Palace), Craig at Melting Pot, Bert at Angkor Arms, a drunk Aussie whose name I can't remember who would pub crawl in his bmw(?), whatsisname at Caledonia GH (he had a pool comp where the prize was a taxi girl).
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 pm Yes it would be Mick and Craigs, but it wasn't on the hill. Mick was a London cabbie. He died about 4 years ago. RIP
Craig was telling me last year that it is getting more and more difficult to make a profit as most visitors were heading to the islands now.

Others in Snooky during that era were, Chuck ('s Palace), Craig at Melting Pot, Bert at Angkor Arms, a drunk Aussie whose name I can't remember who would pub crawl in his bmw(?), whatsisname at Caledonia GH (he had a pool comp where the prize was a taxi girl).
All quite good. I remember The Melting Pot when Tanya owned it (again RIP) and Sam's guesthouse before it moved up on the hill when Vic(later deported) and Sam were a pair. I miss the days when Shitsville was exactly what it is supposed to be-a sleepy coastal town.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic