British Expat PAUL ANTHONY "TONY" ATHERTON (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 73

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: British Expat TONY BYRNE (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 66

Post by Cam Nivag »

chkwoot wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 am I guess the original Facebook post by Shanghai Bar got his name wrong.
No it didn't. It identified him as "Mr. Tony."

I'm just needling GONK. I was curious if he'd say "I started a thread saying Tony Byrne died because someone started a thread on Khmer440 mistakenly saying Tony Byrne died." I think he's too proud to admit that though.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: British Expat TONY BYRNE (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 66

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:58 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:51 pm No, I meant that the still living Tony Byrne is 66. Fuck, this is confusing.
And the "Tony" I am referring to to that just died is not his real name anyway :?
Really? Why wasn't he using his real name?
See crook!!!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

He was using his abbreviated middle name. Paul Anthony Atherton.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cam Nivag wrote:No, I meant that the still living Tony Byrne is 66. Fuck, this is confusing.
Cam Nivag wrote:
chkwoot wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 am I guess the original Facebook post by Shanghai Bar got his name wrong.
No it didn't. It identified him as "Mr. Tony."

I'm just needling GONK. I was curious if he'd say "I started a thread saying Tony Byrne died because someone started a thread on Khmer440 mistakenly saying Tony Byrne died." I think he's too proud to admit that though.
Haha, you are correct! I was also tipped off by the bald guy claiming to be SPECIAL FORCES from your post over there too. I thought it deserved a much larger audience than Khmer440 attracts these days, so I started it here, that's all (although I used a different source than you). :thumb:

Nobody mentioned Tony's last name, so a lot of guesswork involved this time. If I had to guess, he died outside of Cambodia, so public info about his death might be limited.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: British Expat PAUL ANTHONY "TONY" ATHERTON (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 73

Post by willyhilly »

So is the Tony who features in the photos fucking dead or not? This is like Roddy who died at least twice.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: British Expat PAUL ANTHONY "TONY" ATHERTON (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 73

Post by General Mackevili »

willyhilly wrote:So is the Tony who features in the photos fucking dead or not? This is like Roddy who died at least twice.
Where did he work before?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

willyhilly wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:09 pm So is the Tony who features in the photos fucking dead or not?
That's the right Tony in the pictures.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

Well I'm fucking lost, I don't know who's dead and who's alive, who's English, who's Australian and who was hard and who wasn't or even if that is the correct tense to use about the hard or otherwise live or dead people now. :shrug:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Brewer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 pm Well I'm fucking lost, I don't know who's dead and who's alive, who's English, who's Australian and who was hard and who wasn't or even if that is the correct tense to use about the hard or otherwise live or dead people now. :shrug:
Welcome to Cambodia, you'll get over it. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic