Sambor Prei Kuk

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Sambor Prei Kuk

Post by Bertros »

might be an interesting look/road trip. Prolly a good chance to see some ruins without so many folks like SR. Anybody been?
(bit of a strange title)

Bombed and looted ancient Cambodian city poised for rebirth

Sambor Prei Kuk, which means "the temple in the richness of the forest", boasts nearly 300 brick temples and heaps of ruins across a 25 square kilometre (nine square mile) compound.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/bom ... ailsignout

Cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Sambor Prei Kuk

Post by Username Taken »

One of my kids went there on a school excursion last month.

Looking at his photos I would say definitely worth getting there now before mass tourism destroys the experience.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I want to go up there soon, not sure what the best way to do it is. Ideally it would be all the way in an SUV, but if that's not practical it could be broken up by staying overnight in Kampong Thom City. Are there any ok guest houses near the temples?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Not really, best to stay in K Thom.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Very old trip report.
If I remember right we were there in 2008 - there was almost nothing there at all so I wasn't even sure it was the same place when I saw it mentioned here.
We got a bus from Siem Reap to Kampong Thom where we stayed the night in a hotel/brothel which looked like the cleanest place in town, then rented a motorbike and headed north on a dirt track where my brother had told us there was some rare pre-Angkor structures to be seen.
Entrance to the park:
We found the site ok, about an hour on a dirt road if I remember, but there were no guards or anything when we got there - not even sure if we paid - however, there were about 3 school kids who were hanging out, hoping to paid as a guide or sell a krama. There had been some French people working there - archeologists I presume - coz the kids all wanted to speak French.
Image Our "guides".
It was really weird in a cool way. Lots of sort of chimney-like towers in ruin, which all looked like this from inside more or less: Image
All of them were situated in the forest with no tracks to speak of so we followed the kids around. No other tourists, foreign or Khmer, while we were there so we had the place to ourselves.
Ruins:
ImageImageImage
[Sorry the photos are taken from a slideshow, saves me watermarking them I guess. :mrgreen: ]
I' m sure, and even I hope, that things have changed beyond all recognition now. It deserves better. People were trying to save it at the time, but a steady tourist income will be an enormous help in the necessary reconstruction of these monuments.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

I will be going end of August - happy to do a trip report then. Hopefully no Chinese tourists yet.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Soyoung123 wrote:I will be going end of August - happy to do a trip report then. Hopefully no Chinese tourists yet.
:thumb:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

cambodia has temples?!
you mean theres other things to do than drinking and mongering?
ive wasted the past 5 years! :sorry:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 am cambodia has temples?!
you mean theres other things to do than drinking and mongering?
ive wasted the past 5 years! :sorry:
I wasted all my time on my first couple of trips to Cambodia going to see fucking temples. Although to be fair, in those days they weren't being swamped by chinks, Koreans and other assorted tourist trash like army ants on a caterpillar.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Temples are too fucking hot, who wants to walk around in 38 degree heat for fucks sake.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic