English TV shows for Khmers?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: English TV shows for Khmers?

Post by Digg3r »

Username Taken wrote:^^ I agree with your way of learning.

Family Guy has sure helped my kids to learn all the swear words.
I personally do not think family guy is appropriate for children
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Digg3r wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:58 am

Lol. South Park isn't either. But the OP was asking for suggestions of what an adult Khmer woman might enjoy watching in English. We are probably too sick to suggest anything suitable.
Have you tried UK or US soaps Roz ? Dallas or Dynasty or Princess Di on steroids ? What does she enjoy ?
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 pm GF absolutely loves Mr Bean, and we watched a fair bit of Little Britain until all the puking got up her and she said she "cannot more!"

Can anyone suggest some TV shows that we could watch together?

I wish they'd dub Get Smart into Khmer, I reckon she would love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely Fabulous would be a good one for the gals.

My favorite growing up was Benny Hill, bit risque for US tv at the time so it was on late at night, remember literally rolling on the floor laughing as a kid.

The Young Ones is great too.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I've found Mr Bean works well. I bought a DVD from the shop in PP near the river about 8 years back. Asked the bus driver to put in on the DVD player on way back to SHV. Most of the Khmers on the bus were LTAO, some just amused but probably never heard of Mr Bean. Good result as the Westerners enjoyed it more that if it had been the Karaoke krap they usually played back then.
Also found Laurel n Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd works well, makes em LOL. Played the Movie, Borat and Same Same But Different. All good !
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Frasier for adults with good English
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Digg3r wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:58 am

Lol. South Park isn't either. But the OP was asking for suggestions of what an adult Khmer woman might enjoy watching in English. We are probably too sick to suggest anything suitable.
Have you tried UK or US soaps Roz ? Dallas or Dynasty or Princess Di on steroids ? What does she enjoy ?
Soaps would be awesome! I should find Neighbors for her! Good old Aussie culture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The Auntie Jack Show.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Father Ted ?
Extras ?
An idiot abroad ?
Fly with me ?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:56 am Father Ted ?
Extras ?
An idiot abroad ?
Fly with me ?
I ahve a cambodian firend who loves benny hill. he thought he was still alive and it was a current show....
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

if there's one thing I've learned in the various countries I've lived in over the years, it's that humor is incredibly culture specific.

Even massively popular British TV shows like the Office have to be re-made for American audiences. Two countries, same language, different humour. Sure, a lot of American comedies don't have to be re-made for British audiences, but it doesn't work the other way round for some reason.

Depending on her level of fluency, and considering Mr. Bean has been mentioned many times, might I suggest Blackadder? (Except the first series). Perfectly written with hilarious put-downs brilliantly delivered by Rowan Atkinson.

Strange how I've always thought Mr. Bean was probably one of the worst 'comedies' ever produced, yet Blackadder (same actor) was one of the finest.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic