leaf rake

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: leaf rake

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:22 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 pm taabarang its simple, cheap and quick to make, two lengths of wood and some sizable nails.
I guess I've been obtuse. I WANT TO BUY A FUCKING LEAF RAKE WITH METAL(aluminum)
PRONGS. I DON'T want to built the fucker!
no... no youre not allowed...
you must build....
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This kind of stuff used to drive me nuts. There's a better choice of tools around now, but I remember it being really difficult to even get a decent yard/ deck brush here.Everyone just used those brushes made out of plants. Back in Europe you'd use a whole range of tools to do a bit of gardening - secateurs, hedge trimmers, spades, different types of rakes, forks, spades, saws, etc. When people do it here, they often just carry an adze/ pickaxe thing and maybe a small hatchet or rusty old saw with no teeth and a rush/ plastic rice basket. And a krama. Obviously it's down to how much you want to pay, but even CINTRI workers use those crap brushes made out of sticks or whatever.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I agree with you John. I found it difficult in the sticks here to find adequate tools compered to the west, improvising to make my own.
The poster could always be good hearted and pay a local to clean the leaves up for him.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:20 pm I agree with you John. I found it difficult in the sticks here to find adequate tools compered to the west, improvising to make my own.
The poster could always be good hearted and pay a local to clean the leaves up for him.
That's the problem, someone's not going to have the tools so they'll just go in with a machete and chop everything. So they'll get rid of the leaves, but... :?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:10 pm Has anyone found a place in PP that sells leaf rakes? There are only garden rakes available in Kampong Cham and the immediate vicinity. Much obliged for your help.
Taa, both Home Top and Home Fix (both on MTT Bvd) carried these at one point - no idea if they still do, but worth a phone call.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

John hit the nail on the head and Andy drove it home. Living rurally is tough enough, but when the local markets sell only junk from China, then it's a double whammy. At my age I'll substitute power tools for hand tools when necessary. Fortunately, raking leaves is not that strenuous so a blower is not required.

Finally thanks to Stroppy for the advice.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jo Bold
Expatriate

Post by Jo Bold »

You want plastic not metal!
In Sihanoukville there is a tool shop 'Heng Muot' they have plastic and metal.
I bought the metal one 3 times, as i was used to the good metal ones at home. All break after a month ore two because of bad construction. I use a plastic one now for two years.
Plastic or metal, both about $3, stick extra.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jo Bold wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:57 pm You want plastic not metal!
It depends on the surface, and what you're raking - both have their uses.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thanks for the tip Jo. It seems hard to believe but I'll take your word for it. Anyway I live closer to PP than Snookyville, so I won't be headed that way. If I can get the head without the handle it's best. Easier to take on the bus and I love to put my bamboo grove to use.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Home Top has several styles and sizes Metal and plastic leaf rakes in stock - bought one two days ago (Feb 15)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic