Woman claims acid attack on husband was caused by domestic violence

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Woman claims acid attack on husband was caused by domestic violence

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

- A woman who claims to be a victim of domestic violence has been arrested after allegedly dousing her husband in acid, blinding him and causing serious burns, police in Tbong Khmum province said yesterday.

The case is the fourth acid attack in Cambodia so far this year, which observers say could signal a worrying uptick in a horrific trend that had declined significantly after an acid control law was introduced in 2012.

Phun Sreang, 40, was arrested on Tuesday evening after she allegedly threw acid on her husband, Roem Til, 53, in Ponhea Krek district, according to Trapaing Phlong Commune Police Chief Ry Sarath.

“She threw acid on her husband from his head to his leg, and now he is in the Preah Kossamak Hospital,” Sarath said.
“We learned his eyes have been destroyed and cannot be opened.”
Sarath said Til appeared to be suffering badly, with his skin blistering and peeling off. “He writhed around … It was very painful to watch,” he said.

Sreang allegedly threw half a litre of acid – used to solidify rubber on the couple’s small plantation – onto her husband, but her case has not yet been sent to the court.

She told police her husband was repeatedly abusive, prompting her to take drastic measures. “According to her answers, her husband kept causing problems for her, and he drinks every day. After drinking, he often wanted to beat his wife, and she kept running away from him . . . But on Tuesday she could not tolerate him,” Sarath said. “Therefore, she thought that even if she goes to jail, she needed to get rid of him and threw acid on him.

“I pity their two children – now the husband is blinded while the wife is guilty – this is so sad.”
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/y ... abused-her
Spoiler:
Photos Kohsantepheapdaily
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: Woman claims acid attack on husband was caused by domestic violence

Post by soup »

Marry well, or not....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Acid victim wants wife released
Fri, 4 August 2017
Til is Cambodia’s latest acid attack victim – the fourth so far this year. His skin is seared black where the acid ran in rivulets over his legs and torso. He cannot see clearly and for now is blinded in his left eye.
Yet Til yesterday begged Tbong Khmum provincial authorities to release his attacker – his wife, Phun Sreang, 40.

Sreng was arrested on Tuesday evening for allegedly throwing an acid used to solidify rubber on her husband. Sreng told police she was frequently abused and beaten by her husband – a fact Til admitted yesterday, but one that had long been overlooked by their community and local police.

Til said the pair had an argument on Tuesday. It got physically violent and he claims blows were thrown on both sides.

A farmer with a small rice paddy plot, Til says the attack was likely due to the abuse and jealousy over suspected adultery. Sreng is Til’s “second wife” – a relatively common trend in Cambodia – though they have been together 20 years and have two daughters, aged 11 and 14.

“I won’t make a complaint . . . I request the authorities to release her so she can take care of our children,” he said. “It’s better than detaining her, when I have this injury from the acid.” Til said he continued to love his wife, and was willing to forgive everything – even the acid...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... e-released
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Acid attacker released
Tue, 8 August 2017
A woman who threw acid on her husband during a violent dispute in their Tbong Khmum home has been released without charge for the time being, a spokesman for the provincial prosecutor said yesterday.

Phun Sreang, 40, was released on Friday after allegedly dousing her husband, Roem Til, 53, with the corrosive liquid last Tuesday, Hak Seaklim, a spokesman for Tbong Khmum Deputy Prosecutor Pok Dara said.

“Regarding the acid throwing case, I received information that the deputy prosecutor allowed the suspect to return [home] and the case is still in his hands – whether he decides to press the charges or not, it is up to him,” Seaklim said...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... r-released

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The second time this month that a wife has thrown acid at her husband. She said it was because she was jealous of her husband's second wife.

Wife throws acid over husband in argument
Thu, 24 August 2017
A Kampong Cham woman is on the run after she allegedly doused her husband in acid on Tuesday night, marking Cambodia’s fifth acid attack so far this year.

Chealea Commune Police Chief Luy Tongchhe said Seng Sovan, 58, is suspected of throwing acid over her husband, Sarai Serai, 48, as he lay in a hammock watching television. Tongchhe said he did not know the strength of the acid, or where it was purchased.

“The wife threw acid on the husband at their house because she got angry with her husband for having a second wife,” he said.

“They never had domestic violence [before] . . . and the husband requested authorities not to punish his wife so that she can look after [their four] children, and he acknowledged that it was partly his mistake.”
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/w ... d-argument

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Having second wives without consent from the first is not exactly a good idea but acid attacks are not the answer.
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

I didn't think it mattered what 1 looked like in Cambodia, only the size of ones package (cash). Acid in the eyes makes sense but a random bucket is silly and increases your chance of being burnt.

That acid looks boiled or he just sat there in misery and didn't wash it off.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

it seems this activity is spreading to euro town...

As Britain cracks down on weapons, criminals turn to acid attacks

LONDON — Jabed Hussain said he was really lucky. The delivery driver was one of the latest victims in an alarming surge of acid attacks in Britain. He was still trembling when he said, “But they didn’t get my face. They didn’t ruin me.”
Attacks by people throwing acid at their victims has tripled in the last three years in Britain, stoking fears that almost anyone can be the victim -- from a moped rider to the city banker or politician.
The alarming rise comes amid a clampdown on weapons and fears of a frightening new crime fad involving teenage motorbike thieves using corrosive substances, in part because they are relatively easy to obtain.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/as- ... ailsignout

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

it seems this activity is spreading to euro town...
It's not "spreading" from here. Acid attacks are rare in Cambodia. I might be wrong, but I think there were less than 5 acid attacks last year, so there is only a relatively slight increase this year.
According to the London Metropolitan Police and regional police chiefs, there were more than 700 acid attacks last year, double the number in 2015.
[Latest attack] marking Cambodia’s fifth acid attack so far this year.
Edit: Just checked on the number of acid attacks in Cambodia. This is from the Phnom Penh Post:
Only three acid attacks were reported by the Post in all of last year, with four in 2015.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Acid attacks have become much rarer here since the mandatory sentences were increased, and maybe some sort of general understanding among the population about how appalling the crime is. I was surprised to read about the prevalence of acid attacks in the UK, it's not something I heard much about when I lived there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic