Kampot Doesn't Suck

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Kampot Doesn't Suck

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Here goes -

After Snooky - two weeks on Victory Hill (sucks) at Harbor Lights Palace and four weeks in Otres Village (sucks) at Sok Sabay Resort, I've completed my first week in Kampot at Pink Sands Villa.

'Pink Sands' is great - adult only, on the river, and is: quiet, clean and modern.... and the Wi-Fi works in my room. The owner is very 'hands on', and a wealth of information. Unlike Sok Sabay, there AREN'T twelve, male Khmer staff who do literally nothing but lounge around all day ignoring the guests, and taking up all the 'good seats' in the restaurant/bar while: playing pool, fishing and watching cartoons/videos on their phones. It seems no matter where you go in the LoW, only women actually work.

It also seems the Chinese developers have not found Kampot (yet)... or maybe they have - see that abortion up on 'The Hill' just west of Kampot - but are waiting until Sihanoukville has been completely 'Sinofied' before moving east...

In Kampot the roads are paved... no mud... unlike Otres :facepalm: There are a 'thousand' restaurants for all budgets - from Khmer, amoebic dysentery street food to one of the best burgers I had anywhere in the world at the Laundry Cafe - and there's NO fuckin' DUST! All the 'Happy' pizza places have 50 cent draught beer... which leads to loud-mouthed Aussie drunks expounding about whatever (you can't have everything). I found real, aged, English cheddar cheese and chocolate chips (in 1kg package) to take back to China. I found proper rain gear- rubberized pants & jacket - size XXXL (in the west I'm an 'M' :D ) for my moto... and rode over to Kep yesterday to 'score' imported Lay's potato chips (also to take back to China). No Doritos however... shit!

Perhaps, in high season, the place is overrun by stoned, purple/green-haired, overly tattooed/pierced, tree-hugging ecomentalist 'snails' with man buns (or caucasian dreadlocks) and fisherman pants.... who have never had a job (since graduating with a B.A. in Underwater Basket Weaving) but, in 'the wet', Kampot is quite livable.
:thumb:
You could be next.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Kampot Doesn't Suck

Post by phuketrichard »

where in kep did u find Lays?////we got them here, 89 baht/bag
i think if one had a nice place a few kms out of town on the the river it would be very livable.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Where do Kampot guesthouse owners go on holiday in Cambodia? Seeing as all the other ones go to Kampot.
See crook!!!
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

AlonzoPartriz wrote:Where do Kampot guesthouse owners go on holiday in Cambodia? Seeing as all the other ones go to Kampot.
This! And where will be next as Kampot degenerates into a shit hole?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

those that own business's in Kampot can NOT afford to go anywhere, they must stay open 7 days a week, every day.
competition for the cheap Barang tourists is immense. Looking at their FB page, seems every day a new businesses is opening or an old one for sale. PLUS offering cut throat prices on food an drinks.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Kampot has definatly got a hipster scene , lots of expats , they will let you know you place , mostly friendly to noobs.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Mak Pisey Mart/Shop on 33A just before Kep Market when coming from town, has Lay's potato chips (big bags... but no Salt & Vinegar currently) and usually Doritos (at least in high season).
You could be next.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Cruisemonkey Kampot is nice and relaxing. Have a trip on your moto to Bokor hill, best road in Cambodia. Nice and cool up there :)
Always "hope" but never "expect".
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

kampots not dusty ...when its fecking raining and just been flooded...
Kampot town just away from the riverside is busy always now
And the Kep road always has traffic... never used to
Victory hill and otres suck.. what a surprise.. glad you never found the good bits in SHV.. keep them to ourselves and we sit and watch the sunset munching on Leys crisps available all over the place ( apparently Not in VH or Otres.)
Otres roads and mostly sealed now ... part of the reason the country side had been spoiled - the seal roads brought 'resorts' etc...
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

phuketrichard wrote:those that own business's in Kampot can NOT afford to go anywhere, they must stay open 7 days a week, every day.
competition for the cheap Barang tourists is immense. Looking at their FB page, seems every day a new businesses is opening or an old one for sale. PLUS offering cut throat prices on food an drinks.
Still talking nonsense about stuff you don't know anything about. How often are you in Cambodia again?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic