Kampot Doesn't Suck

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampot Doesn't Suck

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Fourkinnel wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 am I have always enjoyed Kampot in small doses. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed!.
I always do a bit of a barhop of which there are several good ones to date. The only downside or upside depending on your preference, is at the end of the night I'm stoned but never smoked a Joint. I don't mind the stuff as I used to smoke but nice to get some fresh air when having a beer too. I really hope the Chinks which remind me of the Borg in Star Trek trying to consume and assimilate do not invade.
I think you nailed it on the head!

It's a 'sleepy' place, and if you are OK hearing Aussie accents everywhere you might do OK...for a few days. If you don't mind accepting the fact that the place is a magnet for tedious 'freaks', and also 'wasters', then you might even be able to stay longer....(If you can accept the lack of choice, beach, and of course, expensive prices and poor food , compared to Snookie, that is).

Oh redeeming features? Cool day trip to Bokor mountain. Cool if it doesn't cloud over, meaning you see nowt, and the 'firefly' tour. Seriously i maybe saw 5 of them. :roll:

:whistler:
Last edited by shnoukieBRO on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:10 pm
Fourkinnel wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 am I have always enjoyed Kampot in small doses. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed!.
I always do a bit of a barhop of which there are several good ones to date. The only downside or upside depending on your preference, is at the end of the night I'm stoned but never smoked a Joint. I don't mind the stuff as I used to smoke but nice to get some fresh air when having a beer too. I really hope the Chinks which remind me of the Borg in Star Trek trying to consume and assimilate do not invade.
I think you nailed it on the head!

It's a 'sleepy' place, and if you are OK hearing Aussie accents everywhere you might do OK...for a few days. If you don't mind accepting the fact that the place is a magnet for tedious 'freaks', and also 'wasters', then you might even be able to stay longer....(If you can accept the lack of choice, beach, and of course, expensive prices and poor food , compared to Snookie, that is).

Oh redeeming features? Cool day trip to Bokor mountain. Cool if it doesn't cloud over, meaning you see nowt, and the 'firefly' tour. Seriously i maybe say 5 of them. :roll:

:whistler:
You could sum up most of Cambodia with many of the first paragraph you wrote. :plus1:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

LaudJohn wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:35 pm In Dreary Kampot now. Only place i have ever paid way more for average food in a khmer restaurant than good food in a barang one.

Trying to find bars open after midnight is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Gives me a greater appreciation of SHV even with the recent changes.
There is always a bar where the expat bar people go to drink after work - you just have to find it.
I was going to recommend a place that used to be open late late, but I see that it now closes at 10pm. :facepalm: So good luck with that.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 pmThere is always a bar where the expat bar people go to drink after work - you just have to find it.
I was going to recommend a place that used to be open late late, but I see that it now closes at 10pm. :facepalm: So good luck with that.
If you like to goto bed early, you'll love kAMPOT!

It might be a great place for people who are either trying to spend less on evening beers, or who want to train as Monks, or Priests....

:geek:
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:35 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 pmThere is always a bar where the expat bar people go to drink after work - you just have to find it.
If you like to goto bed early, you'll love kAMPOT!

It might be a great place for people who are either trying to spend less on evening beers, or who want to train as Monks, or Priests....

:geek:
Theres some OK bars in kampot , irish pub near the river has a good crowd.

Not so many derolicts like SR , PP.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 pm
LaudJohn wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:35 pm In Dreary Kampot now. Only place i have ever paid way more for average food in a khmer restaurant than good food in a barang one.

Trying to find bars open after midnight is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Gives me a greater appreciation of SHV even with the recent changes.
There is always a bar where the expat bar people go to drink after work - you just have to find it.
the venue often changes i think,
ive been out drinking with the owners (maybe former owners now) of Rusty Keyhole and some others, to some of these "late night lock ins"
that was a few years ago now so not sure what the latest is
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:31 pm these "late night lock ins"
Amazing innit?

They have to lock in the customers to stop them running away... Unless the company is so great and the beers are so cool.... :beer3:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Phnom Penh and Shitsvilla have good nightlife to early hours in the morning. Kampot, Battambang, Kampong Cham tend to have a short nightlife, for western bars that is. Khmer places, KTVs and the likes are open. It maybe something with the law, or landlords not wanting the problems with drunks. I remember the police turning up at 2am in the morning. They sent one of the massage girls from over the road to ask me to close my bar, it may have been easier if they didn't speak English. All establishments where closed down that night.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 pm Phnom Penh and Shitsvilla have good nightlife to early hours in the morning. Kampot, Battambang, Kampong Cham tend to have a short nightlife, for western bars that is. Khmer places, KTVs and the likes are open. It maybe something with the law, or landlords not wanting the problems with drunks. I remember the police turning up at 2am in the morning. They sent one of the massage girls from over the road to ask me to close my bar, it may have been easier if they didn't speak English. All establishments where closed down that night.
Yea, whats great about Kampot is that you can live in Pyjamas 24/7!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Not so many derolicts like SR , PP
plenty crazies and pill heads though.
also quite a few nice level headed ppl out of town with little houses and gardens.
many have been badly flooded in the past few weeks.
over 200 mm rain there in 48 hrs.
great place for growing monsoon fruit.
same climate as Chanthaburi.

I imagine the next place to pop will be Koh Kong as one of our members here has decided.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic