Kampot Doesn't Suck

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Kampot Doesn't Suck

Post by AndyKK »

LaudJohn wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:35 pm In Dreary Kampot now. Only place i have ever paid way more for average food in a khmer restaurant than good food in a barang one.

Trying to find bars open after midnight is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Gives me a greater appreciation of SHV even with the recent changes.
Look beyond the riverside, side streets and the back streets. Pizza and pastas $3. Khmer food $1. Girlies and bars are to be found too.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

watch the kampot fb page,
u will see what I mean
Times i have eaten meals (only lunches) found them usually $3-4 which to me for what I got, cheap
I only go to Kampot for the bakeries and the market (no bakeries in Kep and the local market in kep sucks as well)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Our family loves Kampot. First we went to Shitsville because I wanted my kids to see the ocean. We spent the night there and the next morning grabbed the first thing burning fuel for Kampot. I first saw Shitsville in 1996 and prefer to remember it as it was then-a sleepy coastal town with 90% of the action happening at the chicken farm.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Nice write up CM. I haven't been to kampot but it seems worth a look.

Cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 pm
LaudJohn wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:35 pm In Dreary Kampot now. Only place i have ever paid way more for average food in a khmer restaurant than good food in a barang one.

Trying to find bars open after midnight is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Gives me a greater appreciation of SHV even with the recent changes.
Look beyond the riverside, side streets and the back streets. Pizza and pastas $3. Khmer food $1. Girlies and bars are to be found too.
We were way off the riverfront. Near the market.

My khmer partner got them to knock $5 off the bill as well!
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Bertros wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 pm Nice write up CM. I haven't been to kampot but it seems worth a look.

Cheers

Bertros :hattip:
Nice place to visit.

Only a corpse or retired couple or boring person would want to live there.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

LaudJohn wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:41 pm Only a corpse or retired couple or boring person would want to live there.

I'm looking for a place to retire... and don't need girlie bars open after midnight. I'm not quite a corpse (probably have another 30 years) and some might call me boring. If I could find the right place to rent with western (or 'westernizable') kitchen & bathroom, a little ways out of town on the river, I'd consider living in Kampot.

Re: Kep -
I actually LIKE Kep (but you must think only dead people live there). :lol: However, I must agree with phuketrichard - the market in Kep sucks (it's pathetic). Actually, all shopping in Kep sucks even though Mak Pisey has Lay's & Doritos (sometimes). This negates Kep as a retirement option.

Hell! I'd even consider Snookie (just NOT 'the Hill' or Otres :shock: )... if I could find the right place. But apparently they're all 'secret'. I'll have to come back in dry season and do some serious looking around.

Off to Phu Quoc next week to continue my vacation/retirement recon. I'm not considering PQ for retirement, unless...
:wave:
You could be next.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 am Off to Phu Quoc next week to continue my vacation/retirement recon. I'm not considering PQ for retirement, unless...
Yea, that would be good to hear a new post from you: Cruisemonkey sucks quoc! :stir: :crazy: :)
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:41 am
Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 am Off to Phu Quoc next week to continue my vacation/retirement recon. I'm not considering PQ for retirement, unless...
Yea, that would be good to hear a new post from you: Cruisemonkey sucks quoc! :stir: :crazy: :)

Oh God! Help! I think I'm turning into Trapper! :lol:
You could be next.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I have always enjoyed Kampot in small doses. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed!.
I always do a bit of a barhop of which there are several good ones to date. The only downside or upside depending on your preference, is at the end of the night I'm stoned but never smoked a Joint. I don't mind the stuff as I used to smoke but nice to get some fresh air when having a beer too. I really hope the Chinks which remind me of the Borg in Star Trek trying to consume and assimilate do not invade.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic