GSM closing?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: GSM closing?

Post by Username Taken »

lordofmisrule wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:54 pm
saigonjackpot wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:07 pm i am surprised there is no aussie bar opened along there called walkabou
PP dies in the arse when they closed walkabout , but hey I never lived in KoW ....
What would I know im just a stupid tourist...........

Most on here probly never been to boung ek lake or walkabout...........
Been to both and frankly preferred walkabout to the old lakeside
Yeah, but he's not referring to the old lakeside. He said "boung ek lake". Most likely he liked to hang out at Choeung Ek.

:popcorn:
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:07 pm i am surprised there is no aussie bar opened along there called walkabou
PP dies in the arse when they closed walkabout , but hey I never lived in KoW ....

Yeah, but he's not referring to the old lakeside. He said "boung ek lake". Most likely he liked to hang out at Choeung Ek.

See, they dint even know what it is, Perhaps PPs most iconic travelers hot spot in history and they havent a clue.......

I also been to stung mean chey when the dump was still there, that slum was horrible.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

I think he means Boeung Kak. My wife and I had quite a nice house on the lakeside back in the late 90's. By around 2005 it had become a backpacker ghetto and we moved out.

AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 am

I think he means Boeung Kak. My wife and I had quite a nice house on the lakeside back in the late 90's. By around 2005 it had become a backpacker ghetto and we moved out.

Yes, well, doctors are reknowed for getting high on their own supply. :stir:
See crook!!!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

saigonjackpot wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 am

See, they dint even know what it is, Perhaps PPs most iconic travelers hot spot in history and they havent a clue.......
They didn't know what it was because there are about 50 different neighborhoods around the city with "Boeung" in the name, and not one of them is called "Boeung Ek".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 pm
saigonjackpot wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 am

They didn't know what it was because there are about 50 different neighborhoods around the city with "Boeung" in the name, and not one of them is called "Boeung Ek".
I assumed he meant Boeung Kak, I first saw it in 99 I think when it was ok but was starting to be too backpacker to be that great already, just round the corner also on the adjacent side of the lake was a majorly seedy red light area with no red lights, just wooden shacks on marshland with wooden paths going to them, so seedy, curious as to which street that has morphed into now, could it be 71? Surely not? It was kind of like chicken village in snooky but more marshy and dark, anyone remember that?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Yep, that's a pretty accurate description for 99. That would be street 70, not 71.

Price $1-ish.
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 pm Yep, that's a pretty accurate description for 99. That would be street 70, not 71.

Price $1-ish.
70 thanks, its changed somewhat now eh!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Yeah, everything has changed since then. Phnom Penh today is not the city it was when I arrived here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

lordofmisrule wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm
I assumed he meant Boeung Kak, I first saw it in 99 I think when it was ok but was starting to be too backpacker to be that great already, just round the corner also on the adjacent side of the lake was a majorly seedy red light area with no red lights, just wooden shacks on marshland with wooden paths going to them, so seedy, curious as to which street that has morphed into now, could it be 71? Surely not? It was kind of like chicken village in snooky but more marshy and dark, anyone remember that?
I was first there the same time. That was a dodgy area around north of the lake, past the French Embassy. It was all brothel shacks for a few hundred meters. I got brought there after me and a mate had bought a couple of beers and played pool a bit with our drivers. It was 2 AM and I wandered about a bit but was kind of freaked out cos the place was dodgy as fuck, I thought there were Chinese gangsters everywhere but thinking back they were probably just local ones. I didn't hang around long, that street is a bunch of banks, modern shops,offices and schools nowadays.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic