Books about Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Books about Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

NEW RELEASE: 15th August 2017

TITLE: Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand (5th Edition)
AUTHOR: Lonely Planet
ISBN: 9781786570307
AVAILABILITY: Paperback, Kindle & Nook

About the Author: Since 1973, Lonely Planet has become the world's leading travel media company with guidebooks to every destination, an award-winning website, mobile and digital travel products, and a dedicated traveller community. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but also enables curious travellers to get off beaten paths to understand more of the culture of the places in which they find themselves.

Synopsis: Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Tempt your tastebuds with pho noodle soup in Vietnam, sail past the limestone peaks of Halong Bay, or experience the transcendent tranquility of temples like Angkor Wat; all with your trusted travel companion. Get to the heart of Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand and begin your journey now! <Read More>.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

NEW RELEASE: 15th September 2017

TITLE: From Rice Fields to Killing Fields: Nature, Life, and Labor under the Khmer Rouge
AUTHOR: James A. Tyner
ISBN: 978-0815635567
AVAILABILITY: Paperback, Hardcover, & Kindle.

Synopsis: Between 1975 and 1979, the Communist Party of Kampuchea fundamentally transformed the social, economic, political, and natural landscape of Cambodia. During this time, as many as two million Cambodians died from exposure,disease, and starvation, or were executed at the hands of the party. <Read More>

About the author: James A. Tyner is professor of Geography at Kent State University. He is the author of more than a dozen books, including Genocide and the Geographical Imagination: Life and Death in Germany, China, and Cambodia.

Other titles by James Tyner:
The Killing of Cambodia: Geography, Genocide and the Unmaking of Space
Landscape, Memory, and Post-Violence in Cambodia by James A. Tyner
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

NEW RELEASE: 19th September 2017

TITLE: The Rough Guide to Cambodia
AUTHOR: Rough Guides
ISBN: 978-0241279137
AVAILABILITY: Paperback, Kindle & Nook.

Synopsis: This in-depth coverage of Cambodia's local attractions, sights, and restaurants takes you to the most rewarding spots-from the ornate temple of Angkor Wat to the amazing street food of Phnom Penh to the gorgeous beaches of Sihanoukville-and stunning color photography brings the nation to life.<Read more>.

About the author: Beverley Palmer has travelled extensively in Southeast Asia, but her particular affection for Cambodia led to her setting up her own tour company offering trips to the country.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

NEW RELEASE: 1st November 2017
2 books by the same author.

TITLE: The Khmer Kings and the History of Cambodia: BOOK I - 1st Century to 1595: Funan, Chenla, Angkor and Longvek Periods
AUTHOR: Kenneth T. So
ISBN: 978-1934431368
AVAILABILITY: Paperback.

Synopsis: Book I is the most comprehensive and detailed study of the origins of the Khmer civilization available. It describes how Chenla -- a state under the vassalage of Funan -- came to conquer its master state, before ultimately splitting into two kingdoms known as Land and Water Chenla in 707 CE.<Read more>
----------------------------------------------------------------

TITLE: The Khmer Kings and the History of Cambodia: BOOK II - 1595 to the Contemporary Period
AUTHOR: Kenneth T. So
ISBN: 978-1934431375
AVAILABILITY: Paperback.

Synopsis: Book II is the most comprehensive and detailed study of Khmer civilization available, from 1595 CE to the Contemporary Period. Even after the fall of Angkor, the kingdom remained relatively strong until the Ayutthayan King Naresuan conquered Longvek in 1594.<Read more>

About the author: Kenneth T. So — né So Khong Thay — was born in Cambodia, which he left in the 1970s to study in France. Moving to the U.S. to pursue specialized studies, he first graduated with a B.S. in chemical engineering at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville; obtained a M.S. in systems management at the University of Southern California (USC), and Certificate degrees in space-related fields at the California Institute of Technology and at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
However, his passion has been historical research on Southeast Asia and especially Cambodia. He has spent the last 25 years writing about events relating to Cambodia, publishing numerous articles and books available in print, online and in newspapers.
Mr. So retired from the aerospace industry in 2014. He is currently a board adviser of the Cambodia Historians Association (CHA) headquartered in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

not books but great site to get lots of books not available anywhere else, I have picked up lots of out of print books here.

http://www.libgen.io/

Rough guides
About the author: Beverley Palmer has travelled extensively in Southeast Asia, but her particular affection for Cambodia led to her setting up her own tour company offering trips to the country.
seems like a conflict of interest ( or at least she cant be non biased) as am sure she recommends, restaurants, hotels, shops she deals with
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

RELEASE DATE: 7th November, 2017

TITLE: You No Buy, You Make Me Sad
AUTHOR: William J Wood Jr.
ISBN: 978-1973246305
AVAILABILITY: Paperback and Kindle

Synopsis: Reads like a travel diary.
"You no buy, you make me sad," said the girls outside the temples of Angkor Wat, selling their tourist curios. I put on a kromah, the red and white scarf of the Khmer Rouge, grabbed a knife and said to a group of young Cambodians, "Grrrr, I'm Khmer Rouge." They laughed hysterically and took my picture.

About the author: William J. Wood Jr. is a writer, photographer, and physician who lives in Clackamas County outside Portland, Oregon.

https://booksaboutcambodia.com/book-cat ... -j-wood-jr
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I put on a kromah, the red and white scarf of the Khmer Rouge, grabbed a knife and said to a group of young Cambodians, "Grrrr, I'm Khmer Rouge." They laughed hysterically and took my picture.
William J Wood Jr​ sounds like a dead set top bloke.

Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Yeah. About as funny as a hat full of arseholes..........
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:13 pm
Rama wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:10 pm Is the website yours Username Taken?
Yes it is.

Please note that currently I have no affiliation with any book vendors (i.e. Amazon), so currently I make nothing from book sales. In the future . . .
Who needs amazon? Go to IBC and buy a bad photocopy for $1.50 :-)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

RELEASE DATE: 13 November 2017

TITLE: Essential Siem Reap
AUTHOR: Rodney L'Huillier
ISBN: 978-1973283034
AVAILABILITY: Paperback and Kindle.

Synopsis: Exploring the ancient temples once lost to the jungle, through to journeys into Buddhist culture, relaxing in 5-star comfort at bargain prices, a family escape, or backpacking your way and partying all night, Siem Reap has something for everyone. In this must-carry book I will cover the Angkor Archaeological Park and it's amazing temples, temples away from the well-beaten tourist trails, secret sunrise and sunset spots, plus a collection of attractions and things to do between visiting the temples.

About the author: Lived and Studied in China for 6 years.

https://booksaboutcambodia.com/book-cat ... l-huillier
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic