are you happy in the KoW?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

are you happy in the KoW?

Post by saigonjackpot »

I ran into an old buddy in SR the other day ,when I knew him out of KoW where he was just a light toker who might crack a flask of vodka once a week.

Now hes glued to the barstool I soksan rd getting with drug addict hookers drinking 20 beers a day smoking him self stupid on a downspiral going nowhere fast.

Point being is there something in the water here that just fucks people up completely?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: are you happy in the KoW?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

sure, people have a lot more freedoms here than they do in their home counry
a lot just arent responsible with that freedom
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:53 pm sure, people have a lot more freedoms here than they do in their home counry
a lot just arent responsible with that freedom
Aint that the truth, interesting enough I met the dude in malaysia where expats and travelers are all a bit more controled but also alot more level headed.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

no doubt cambodia attracts fucked up people.
for me:
i am happy here. i really enjoy my little beekeeping gig and training ( unpaid ) the local kids in the business.
a year ago i would not have believed i could live without AC and other things- i guess i forgot how i lived on the mining fields of lightning ridge and on my farm near kuranda.
maybe now that i am old i assumed certain things were requirements which were not.
but i only first started coming here in 2007, and living here for 3 years now- so took me some time to adjust.
one big surprise for me is that it is better to do biz with locals than expats, who constantly break their contracts
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

as long as Khmer girls stay cute im happy :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I answered this question in a previous post.

"What future and for whom? Some biographical details first and conclusion later I met my wife 15 years ago and fell in love at an advanced age with a wonderful woman. I've lived in several countries and like many men been in and out of love a good deal. But this time I knew there would be no "out of love.". So we have been married every since and now have two teenage kids. The second reason I am still here is because both of my parents are deceased and I have no brothers or sisters. In short back home isn't really home so I wanted my kids to have a home and nationality didn't seem important.
So, we opted to move to the small rural village my wife comes from, bought land and had a modest but comfortable home built. So now my kids have a family, a really big one, for which I am grateful and we make ends meet on the pittance of Social Security that I get monthly. Far less than we would require in my home country.
So far so good. The kicker is rural education. I think my moms had a more advanced system when she was a student in a one room school house in the mountains of Tennessee. While the Khmer Rouge regime hobbled it the current government is the most responsible. I will spare you the litany of shortcomings and say that not only is it inferior to the education the sons and daughters of the privileged class it is lamentably lacking in qualified staff and has no art, no music, no labs for chemistry and physics and no supervised sports. There is more but that is in the litany I promised to spare you.
So, in short I feel that I was somewhat selfish in pursuing my love interest. But I was naive and really didn't have the financial wherewithal to move a family back to my country. They now see themselves as Cambodian and would miss the country terribly if they were uprooted. As for me I'm an old man; I can live or die anywhere. But I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for having put my interests first.
So, in conclusion if I were single I would have left long ago and never come back. There are many other small countries that admirably cope with their problems and constructively use foreign aid to advance the whole country, not just a select few."
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 pm no doubt cambodia attracts fucked up people.
for me:
i am happy here. i really enjoy my little beekeeping gig and training ( unpaid ) the local kids in the business.
a year ago i would not have believed i could live without AC and other things- i guess i forgot how i lived on the mining fields of lightning ridge and on my farm near kuranda.
maybe now that i am old i assumed certain things were requirements which were not.
but i only first started coming here in 2007, and living here for 3 years now- so took me some time to adjust.
one big surprise for me is that it is better to do biz with locals than expats, who constantly break their contracts
I wonder how many western guys come here thinking KoW is the holy grail then realised that perhaps beer ,hookers and living on a bar stool can quite quickly turn into an empty wallet a chronic hangover.

my decisions changed about living back in SR when I saw a new breed of barangs hanging on soksan rd at 5am drinking the flat, warm leftover dregs and fighting over the last rancid ladyboy / sketchy hooker in the bar.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

taabarang wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:19 pm I answered this question in a previous post.

"What future and for whom? Some biographical details first and conclusion later I met my wife 15 years ago and fell in love at an advanced age with a wonderful woman. I've lived in several countries and like many men been in and out of love a good deal. But this time I knew there would be no "out of love.". So we have been married every since and now have two teenage kids. The second reason I am still here is because both of my parents are deceased and I have no brothers or sisters. In short back home isn't really home so I wanted my kids to have a home and nationality didn't seem important.
So, we opted to move to the small rural village my wife comes from, bought land and had a modest but comfortable home built. So now my kids have a family, a really big one, for which I am grateful and we make ends meet on the pittance of Social Security that I get monthly. Far less than we would require in my home country.
So far so good. The kicker is rural education. I think my moms had a more advanced system when she was a student in a one room school house in the mountains of Tennessee. While the Khmer Rouge regime hobbled it the current government is the most responsible. I will spare you the litany of shortcomings and say that not only is it inferior to the education the sons and daughters of the privileged class it is lamentably lacking in qualified staff and has no art, no music, no labs for chemistry and physics and no supervised sports. There is more but that is in the litany I promised to spare you.
So, in short I feel that I was somewhat selfish in pursuing my love interest. But I was naive and really didn't have the financial wherewithal to move a family back to my country. They now see themselves as Cambodian and would miss the country terribly if they were uprooted. As for me I'm an old man; I can live or die anywhere. But I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for having put my interests first.
So, in conclusion if I were single I would have left long ago and never come back. There are many other small countries that admirably cope with their problems and constructively use foreign aid to advance the whole country, not just a select few."
I more mean to say to the noobs and proper alcoholics in KoW who are just existing in the country with no job, routine , places to be , people to meet , hobbies, life outside of drinking cheap alcohol.

Are these guys happy in KoW ? seems to countless numbers of em.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

taabarang wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:19 pm I answered this question in a previous post.

That was an honest post sir. :thumb:
See crook!!!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I more mean to say to the noobs and proper alcoholics in KoW who are just existing in the country with no job, routine , places to be , people to meet , hobbies, life outside of drinking cheap alcohol."

Sorry to have fucked up your sample. Had you specified those parameters from the get go I would have abstained from posting.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic