Syrian Lady in a Burqa Arrested For Stealing $500 From a Shop House Owner in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Syrian Lady in a Burqa Arrested For Stealing $500 From a Shop House Owner in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Depends how you define "very few". I see some almost every time I go to Kampot, often they're visible along the main highway at the big mosque along highway 3. Also quite a few if you venture in the smaller villages surrounding Kampot. You'll notice a lot of Wells and other things funded by the UAE and other gulf countries or Malaysia (used to have pictures of them). I've also seen some quite often heading towards Russei Keo/Svay Pak. They're planting their seed there and of course, the money comes with "behavioural changes". Go at the airport and 8 times out of ten, you'll see a group of chams waiting for someone or seeing them off. It's not well-known, but tons of them are studying in Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and so on. You can guess what they bring back with them. Several years ago the chams looked like any other Cambodian. Some women wore headscarves, some didn't. Now you notice men wearing Pakistani style pyjamas with the taquiya, beard and all, women in niqabs etc.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Syrian Lady in a Burqa Arrested For Stealing $500 From a Shop House Owner in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Duncan »

Kampot school kids. Shy, friendly and quite smart, but knew nothing about whats happening in the rest of the world.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

There's also an outside chance that the shopkeeper spotted her with a wedge of cash, and figured she'd be an easy mark.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:46 am It's not well-known, but tons of them are studying in Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and so on. You can guess what they bring back with them.
The Chams here have strong links with the Malaysia going back centuries, there are basically two types of Chams here, some with Malay roots and the others with roots in Champa, and they do intermarry. I have a few Cham friends who have studied in Malaysia, there is no religious aspect to it, it's just done to achieve a better education. There are also Muslim associations here which give grants to aspiring students, and also pay for people to attend the Haj.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

They should prohibit them from wearing the burqas, it's almost like wearing damascus.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I bet the next time the shopkeepers sees woman dressed like this, he'll tell her to burqa off pretty sharp.

Theft is a syrias crime.

Back home, she would be giving head.

That's the way allah, allah, I like it!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:46 am It's not well-known, but tons of them are studying in Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and so on. You can guess what they bring back with them.
The Chams here have strong links with the Malaysia going back centuries, there are basically two types of Chams here, some with Malay roots and the others with roots in Champa, and they do intermarry. I have a few Cham friends who have studied in Malaysia, there is no religious aspect to it, it's just done to achieve a better education. There are also Muslim associations here which give grants to aspiring students, and also pay for people to attend the Haj.
You're quite right. The ones in Kompong Cham by the river quite often still speak Cham. Quite surprising actually to hear dudes with strong accents in Khmer while living so close to Khmer villages! I don't know know the history quite well, but I've actually never heard the ones in Kampot speak Cham, so the roots might be different (or they switch to Khmer with me?). Studying in Malaysia or Indonesia isn't a big deal, but my lady has a few Cham friends she studied with who went on to study in the Middle East. You'd be a bit foolish to think that all they bring back is "an education" in the typical sense of the word. There are a lot of ideological strings attached (as with Christian missionaries giving free English lessons and so on). It's no coincidence that habits and customs have changed drastically in the past decade or so amongst the local Muslim population. I'm not so worried about extremism in the "explosive" sense, but the wahhabis do plant their own rather strict version of Islam in them. What I don't get is the change in dress, especially for the men. Males no sense to me.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:44 am Kampot school kids. Shy, friendly and quite smart, but knew nothing about whats happening in the rest of the world.

That little kid on the right representing ISIS with the 1 finger salute

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

OMG! My kindergarten teacher was ISIS! How many fingers am I holding up?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

She was in court yesterday. I wonder how that turned out.

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5075379/syr ... 500-theft/
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic