Foreigner Buys Land in His Cambodian Wife's Name In Siem Reap; Loses Everything

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Foreigner Buys Land in His Cambodian Wife's Name In Siem Reap; Loses Everything

Post by obelisks »

This case sounds similar to the one in Phuket Thailand which has even led to Jonathan Head, the BBC's Bangkok-based South-east Asia correspondent being effectively detained in Thailand. This is because the lawyer acting for the wife in this case decided to sue Jonathan Head for criminal defamation just because he was doing his job as a reporter.
And don't be too critical of the person in Cambodia who has been scammed because one of the victims in Thailand who went from a £2 million fortune to virtually being destitute and also still being detained in Thailand (because he was also sued for defamation just for trying to get his money back) was a qualified UK chartered surveyor and property valuer

British expat Ian Rance and Irishman Colin Vard are now living almost penniless with their children on the outskirts of Bangkok as they struggle against overwhelming odds to recover properties they bought on Phuket. Both men lost all their investments through frauds that neither of them imagined were possible.
"I'd made my money in England and had enough to retire I thought. I was looking for a place that was warm, a place that had some rule of law, where I could live in safety and peace," says Rance, a chartered surveyor and professional arbitrator from Hertfordshire, who arrived in Phuket in 2000.
"When I came to Thailand on a trip to Australia it sort of seemed to fit the bill."
In 2001 Rance met and married a Thai woman called Suda and went on to have three children with her. The prime minister at the time, Thaksin Shinawatra, had started a programme called "Thailand Elite", through which he hoped to attract wealthy foreigners to settle by allowing them to own small amounts of land, something not normally permitted under Thai law.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bbc-to-figh ... ukbxd.html
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Foreigner Buys Land in His Cambodian Wife's Name In Siem Reap; Loses Everything

Post by frank lee bent »

this thread is soooo
duh

you will get 50% ish back home.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

CEO received this email recently:

"Dear,

There is a publication with my photo, my name and also the photo and the name of Mister Sourng Sophea about a man who lost his money because his wife sold the land behind his back.
Is it possible to cancel this publication because it is not true and you can imagine what this kind of things can create on our own life.
Thank you for your comprehensive,

Adrien MARVILLE
"

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Ah, he's the accused. He's accused of being in cahoots with the Khmer lawyer to screw the foreign husband. He should just post his side of the story.

https://siem-reap-for-sale.com/lawyer/
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cam Nivag wrote:Ah, he's the accused. He's accused of being in cahoots with the Khmer lawyer to screw the foreign husband. He should just post his side of the story.

Ah, so he is. I thought he was the accuser. :facepalm:

He said his picture was shown, but we didn't show that, so I assumed it was the accuser, who's Facebook pic is posted here. Seems he needs to take it up with Eric Aerden.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:59 am
Cam Nivag wrote:Ah, he's the accused. He's accused of being in cahoots with the Khmer lawyer to screw the foreign husband. He should just post his side of the story.

Ah, so he is. I thought he was the accuser. :facepalm:

He said his picture was shown, but we didn't show that, so I assumed it was the accuser, who's Facebook pic is posted here. Seems he needs to take it up with Eric Aerden.
:lol: French and a fucking lawyer and he thinks he could possibly have a good name and reputation to protect? :facepalm: A double whammy of slime and sleaze.

The fucker can't even get an official publicity photo done without oozing sweat and oil into his hair and shirt. :plus1:

Spoiler:
Jester
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jester »

First of all, respect to the originl poster for having the guts to admit what happened, and the grit to name the perps.

Now on to my question.

Why would a fellow buy land in the lady's name, when Cambodia is said to permit Barangs to buy land? (Unlike anywhere else in Asia.)

I moved here 2 weeks ago, so if I am missing something, please feel free to set me straight.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jester wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:12 pm First of all, respect to the originl poster for having the guts to admit what happened, and the grit to name the perps.

Now on to my question.

Why would a fellow buy land in the lady's name, when Cambodia is said to permit Barangs to buy land? (Unlike anywhere else in Asia.)

I moved here 2 weeks ago, so if I am missing something, please feel free to set me straight.
Nope, incorrect
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

You cant own more than 49 per cent equity in real estate here.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

And you can only do that through a company registration right?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic