Small bodies and airbags

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Small bodies and airbags

Post by cambo swa »

Just returned from driving a roundtrip from PP to Siem Reap. I am sure I have seen this previously but maybe it made an impression on me now because I saw this 3-4 times over just a few days. An adult driving a car with a young child, even infants, sitting on the driver's lap facing the steering wheel. Some even holding on to it. If the air bag goes off their dead child would be barely recognizable in their lap. Yes, maybe just a rhetorical question question because I should not be shocked but do they really not know?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Small bodies and airbags

Post by Kuroneko »

cambo swa wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:57 pm Just returned from driving a roundtrip from PP to Siem Reap. I am sure I have seen this previously but maybe it made an impression on me now because I saw this 3-4 times over just a few days. An adult driving a car with a young child, even infants, sitting on the driver's lap facing the steering wheel. Some even holding on to it. If the air bag goes off their dead child would be barely recognizable in their lap. Yes, maybe just a rhetorical question question because I should not be shocked but do they really not know?
Yes they really don't know:

Always turn off the passenger airbag

Airbags were developed to make driving even safer. However, they are only suitable for children aged 15 and over.

If you place an infant carrier on the passenger seat without deactivating the airbag, the baby is exposed to extreme danger. This is why child safety seats and infant carriers should be installed on the rear seat, as an inadvertent error whilst attaching the seat or an unwittingly activated airbag are enough to expose your child to considerable risk. This is because the child can sustain serious injury to the head and neck if impacted by an airbag. (Craig Newgard from the University of Portland in Oregon, examined just how much greater this danger actually is: The risk of sustaining serious injury on the front passenger seat is almost three times higher than on the rear seat, whilst a triggered airbag increases the risk sixfold! In his eight-year research, Newgard analysed 3,790 accidents involving children aged between one month and 18 years of age, who were sitting on the passenger seat).

From Cybex online 26May 2017
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Small bodies and airbags

Post by StroppyChops »

This is the society that often have two or three people in the driver's seat, each assuming a different part of the task of actually driving the care ... your question is rhetorical, surely?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic