Would you move your family to Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Would you move your family to Cambodia?

Post by IraHayes »

I think i may have just given the worst possible advice ever.

I suggested to my daughter that her, her boyfriend and their son should think about living and working in Cambodia. Their boy is just over 2 years old.

Thoughts please...
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Would you move your family to Cambodia?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

going off what other posters have said in the past...
personally id tell them to stay put and make the most of the free education and health service while the kids growing up
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 pm I think i may have just given the worst possible advice ever.

I suggested to my daughter that her, her boyfriend and their son should think about living and working in Cambodia. Their boy is just over 2 years old.

Thoughts please...

Ha,, since when has a daughter taken advice from a father. Anyway , tell her you were blind drunk at the time you suggested it to her.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Why not? Education up to a certain age is OK. But agreed, make sure they are insured.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

does he have a good job so can afford a good education for their son when he hits 8?
other than that, why not, although i think Thailand is better suited for raising a family of expats ( more to do for kids, more expat kids, better pre schools and upper schools, better food , choice of accommodations, more choices of where to live, better health care if needed)

Insurance doesn't matter,i never had it and raised my daughter here. PLUS if she is in a good school will get it thru the school.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Why not should be tempered with why?
Insurance I never bothered with.
Education at 2 is neither here nor there.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 amInsurance I never bothered with.
Which is pretty darn stupid. Counting on GoFund me?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Owned houses, cars, health for 35 plus years..... never paid insurance. That's a lot of money that I haven't given to those leaches.
But you're probably right, best to insure for everything. It's a scary world outside and you might die at any time whereupon a large payout will surely buy you a front row seat in heaven.

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Prediction: son in law will divorce your daughter for some bar girl, daughter will be emotionally distraught and run back to Australia. You'll end up raising your grandchild here. You're a terrible father...

Seriously, I don't think it's that bad but what exactly do they plan on doing here?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:24 pm Owned houses, cars, health for 35 plus years..... never paid insurance. That's a lot of money that I haven't given to those leaches.
But you're probably right, best to insure for everything. It's a scary world outside and you might die at any time whereupon a large payout will surely buy you a front row seat in heaven.

Tell that to a friend of mine who had an accident, ended up as a quadriplegic and whose parents had to sell their house to pay the medical bill....

Or a trainee that had to pay USD 30,000 just for the medevac.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic