Any tips on avoiding binge drinking???

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Any tips on avoiding binge drinking???

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I remember working for a big irish outfit in the early 70s. They would bring the wages round on friday about 4 30. it was a cheque, unusual for those days, plus very few people on building sites had bank accounts. No problem there was a pub in paddington called the Swan where you could cash the cheque. the subby would even drop you there after work.
It was filled with mostly irish, all waiting for there wages from various subbys. You would got to the bar and they would have a register with all the details in. Once they had ticked you off you would get a pint while you waited for your money, sometimes on tic if you had no cash and then you would wait, sometimes for half an hour or so. Of course if you had the magic pint during that period then you would fall out of the pub hours later and have to get back over to south london.
good times.
charlie :beer3:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Any tips on avoiding binge drinking???

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:46 pm it all depended on the subby, some would sack you if you got back half hour late, others would expect you to do very little on friday afternoon. When work was plentifull we would take the piss. One thing common in the 70s and 80s was saturdays, work till 12 and get a days money. And then of course was it day work or price work?. Those days are gone now :no:
charlie
haha youre not a real subby if you cant come and go as you please :stir:
could never work on the books again or on daywork, got far used to having my freedom, me and my mate dont work past 2-3 oclock midweek or lunchtime on a friday
the only good thing about daywork is wetpay
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic