What books are you reading?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: What books are you reading?

Post by orichá »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:26 pm
Be careful with Gould. Much of his work has been tainted by his fraud and political radicalism.
Yes, he is very dangerous, I agree. But he is also a genuine genius... Read this book and you will see him deflate all the old imperial theories of white & Western cultural / racial supremacy, one by one. And there are many many scientists to overthrow! He does an admirable job...

There is only one race, the human race. And no such a thing as an IQ... Enjoy!
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

orichá wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:36 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:26 pm
Be careful with Gould. Much of his work has been tainted by his fraud and political radicalism.
Yes, he is very dangerous, I agree. But he is also a genuine genius... Read this book and you will see him deflate all the old imperial theories of white & Western cultural / racial supremacy, one by one. And there are many many scientists to overthrow! He does an admirable job...

There is only one race, the human race. And no such a thing as an IQ... Enjoy!
I have read Gould. And Lewontin, too. Their work appears to mainly motivated by their Marxist egalitarianism.

I would recommend some of the following books. Much better science, minus the dangerous Blank Slate pseudoscience.

Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

The Martian chronicles by Ray Bradbury
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

Am reading "Jitterbug Perfume" again
Asia Traveler
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Asia Traveler »

Danger Zone: The Coming Conflict with China Kindle Edition
by Michael Beckley
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

posted this elsewhere but it merits here as well:

it gives a very accurate account of what Sihanoukville was like in the early 2000 and some nice descriptions of Khmers and the life they lived before the Russians ( and than Chinese) ruined the place
was lucky to see some of it on my 1st trip there in 2006

Not ur average Pattaya book crap
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

Mortality by Christopher Hitchens, written on his deathbed. It's short but powerful, but all my books are bought through Google play books now. Miss the real thing. Although yesterday I saw an English book shop near the royal palace, so I'll have to check it out. Probably pretty expensive though, I'm guessing.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Tim Willocks - "Memo From Turner" . Fiction with a black cop in SA.
So far, so good. Just started, more or less.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

(La promesse de l'aube)

The lives of Romain Gary as told in his slightly fictional early autobiography. Airman, Hero of the Resistance, diplomat, Hollywood socialite, notorious womaniser, critically acclaimed and best selling author. He didn't waste his time.

Procurer to celebrities in the 1940s/50s, Scotty was particularly impressed by Edward Duke of Windsor's lack of social pretension.
With the ice broken we all began to get to know one another. There were no pretentious charades or aloofness in their behavior toward me whatsoever. Edward gently pulled me aside and said, “You know, Scotty, a lot of people have told me about you, long before Wally and I came to California. Albert, Peter, Brian, and Cecil all said that I ought to look you up when we got here.”

He was referring of course to our mutual friends, his host Arthur Brown, as well as Peter Bull, Brian Desmond Hurst, and Cecil Beaton. He went on to tell me how highly they had all spoken of me to him in London and how much he had been looking forward to meeting me. It was obvious that his relationship with those four men transcended mere platonic friendship. This became patently clear less than twenty minutes later when he and I slipped into the guesthouse at the bottom end of the large garden, stripped off, and began making out. Eddy was good. Really good. He sucked me off like a pro.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic