What books are you reading?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: What books are you reading?

Post by phuketrichard »

for ebooks;

https://b-ok.asia/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Just finished Stuart Woods' " Two Dollar Bill" and I'm on his "New York Dead" now. First bit of fiction for me completed in almost a decade. Good stuff, great stories, not a lot of extra verbiage, I like it.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

This is a fabulous insight into dictatorship and the mentality of power...madness...

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Most CEO posters have never read this let alone owned one
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

orichá wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:40 pm This is a fabulous insight into dictatorship and the mentality of power...madness...

Looks interesting. I read this a few years ago.
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

Hello, if anyone is interested in books about Cambodia and some other topics please see my listing:

general-buy-and-sell/lots-books-about-c ... 52152.html
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:31 am for ebooks;

https://b-ok.asia/
This site no longer operates, and was an unsecure site anyway, Anyone wants to pm me I can give them 3 ebook sites that list every book ever published, and for new releases by any author - free to download. But you will need to put on your skull and crossbones hat, garr!
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yep; last week the feds seized it ;-(

still works
https://libgen.is/

please pm me ur list, i am reading 2-3 books/week, not much else to do in Kep :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

"Slow and old is science, Padawan... Patience, and master you will, the essences of notions preconceived."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This book is absolutely mind-blowing...

The Mismeasure of Man
... by Stephen Jay Gould...

Excerpt from chapter 4, Two Case Studies on the Apishness of Undesirables

"The ape in all of us: recapitulation"

Once the fact of evolution had been established, nineteenth-century naturalists devoted themselves to tracing the actual pathways that evolution had followed. They sought, in other words, to reconstruct the tree of life. Fossils might have provided the evidence, for only they could record the actual ancestors of modern forms. But the fossil record is extremely imperfect, and the major trunks and branches of life’s tree all grew before the evolution of hard parts permitted the preservation of a fossil record at all. Some indirect criterion had to be found. Ernst Haeckel, the great German zoologist, refurbished an old theory of creationist biology and suggested that the tree of life might be read directly from the embryological development of higher forms. He proclaimed that “ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny” or, to explicate this mellifluous tongue-twister, that an individual, in its own growth, passes through a series of stages representing adult ancestral forms in their correct order—an individual, in short, climbs its own family tree.

Recapitulation ranks among the most influential ideas of late nineteenth-century science. It dominated the work of several professions, including embryology, comparative morphology, and paleontology. All these disciplines were obsessed with the idea of reconstructing evolutionary lineages, and all regarded recapitulation as the key to this quest. The gill slits of an early human embryo represented an ancestral adult fish; at a later stage, the temporary tail revealed a reptilian or mammalian ancestor.

Recapitulation spilled forth from biology to influence several other disciplines in crucial ways. Both Sigmund Freud and C. G. Jung were convinced recapitulationists, and Haeckel’s idea played no small role in the development of psychoanalytic theory. (In Totem and Taboo, for example, Freud tries to reconstruct human history from a central clue provided by the Oedipus complex of young boys. Freud reasoned that this urge to parricide must reflect an actual event among ancestral adults. Hence, the sons of an ancestral clan must once have killed their father in order to gain access to women.) Many primary-school curriculums of the late nineteenth century were reconstructed in the light of recapitulation. Several school boards prescribed the Song of Hiawatha in early grades, reasoning that children, passing through the savage stage of their ancestral past, would identify with it.*

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

orichá wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:43 pm
This book is absolutely mind-blowing...
it.*

Be careful with Gould. Much of his work has been tainted by his fraud and political radicalism.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic