What books are you reading?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What books are you reading?

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm Image

:thumb: :thumb:
will change ur views of history

a tribute to

Had to read that subversive propaganda as an undergraduate. Quite inaccurate and viciously anti-white.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

It doesn't take much to become cynical about Western civilization. Just read I, Claudius by Robert Graves. It is a trifle melodramatic and depressing, but richly detailed with a believable recreation of Roman times.

The only thing I can't take seriously or believe are the too convenient encounters between Claudius as a youth with Pollio and Livy -- both famous historians --who oblige Claudius to tell them which one of the two he prefers, and also refuse to answer his question about the truth of Roman history... This whole episode is one of the best in the book as Claudius tries to unravel the concealed truths of past times...
  • "Come on, Livy," said Pollio. "Answer the young student. What really happened?"

Livy said; "Another time. Let's keep to the matter in hand now, which is a general discussion of the proper way to write history. Claudius, my friend, you have ambitions that way. Which of us two old worthies will you choose as a model?"

"You make it very difficult for the boy, you jealous fellows," put in Sulpicius. "What do you expect him to answer?"

"The truth will offend neither of us," answered Pollio.

I looked from one face to the other. At last I said, "I think I would choose Pollio. As I am sure that I can never hope to attain Livy's inspired literary elegance, I shall do my best to imitate Pollio's accuracy and diligence."

Later in the novel, poor Claudius tries to understand why his own grandmother may have poisoned her own husband and son...

Of course, the Romans make no sense and Robert Graves, the author, stretches the believability of a lot of things, including inventing letters written between Augustus and Livia that probably were never ever written, as he makes them too obvious and blunt and heavy-handed...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
ceoreg123
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ceoreg123 »

Reality Switch Technologies: Psychedelics as Tools for the Discovery and Exploration of New Worlds

Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Soon as I can get my stuff out of storage (including my library) I will read it again. Really heady stuff.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Old book I will let go , just Testing to see if this works.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just started:

During the Vietnam War the United States government waged a massive, secret air war in neighboring Laos. Two million tons of bombs were dropped on one million people. Fred Branfman, an educational advisor living in Laos at the time, interviewed over 1,000 Laotian survivors. Shocked by what he heard and saw, he urged them to record their experiences in essays, poems, and pictures. Voices from the Plain of Jars was the result of that effort. When first published in 1972, this book was instrumental in exposing the bombing. In this expanded edition, Branfman follows the story forward in time, describing the hardships that Laotians faced after the war when they returned to find their farm fields littered with cluster munitions--explosives that continue to maim and kill today.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

ELON MUSK by Walter Isaacson.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

ceoreg123 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:12 pm Reality Switch Technologies: Psychedelics as Tools for the Discovery and Exploration of New Worlds

I guess this band would qualify for the soundtrack

Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

My books are still in storage in Saigon ... but these two are great reads. Both non-fiction. Never Fall Down is really hard to read because it is about a kid who survived the Khmer Rouge and went through the worst of the worst to make it out alive. Tear jerker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic