Parking crackup

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Parking crackup

Post by Duncan »

Which pharmacy sells medicine to stop laughing fits ?

Phnom Penh cops plan crackdown on parking
Mon, 17 July 2017
Khouth Sophak Chakrya
Police in Phnom Penh will next month start issuing fines of up to $25 for violations of parking regulations by using handheld devices that scan licence plates and recognise the registered identity and address of a vehicle’s owner, an official said yesterday.

Run Rothveasna, director of the Interior Ministry’s Traffic and Public Order Department, said that wrongdoers would face fines between 50,000 to 100,000 riel (about $12.50 to $25) depending on the vehicle, withdrawal of their driver’s licence or even court proceedings. “We are training traffic police officials about the use of technology via the sophisticated system,” Rothveasna said of the handheld devices. “They will also tow vehicles.”

Taxi driver Yan Bunthoeun, 46, said that he welcomed the move.

“Some traffic police officers seem to be afraid of the influence of business and vehicle owners, especially of the vehicles with RCAF and police plates. Instead [of fines], when they see the owners of the luxury cars violating traffic laws, they ask them for money,” Bunthoeun said.

Mun Ya, 38, a food vendor on Sothearos Boulevard, said she worried the crackdown on parking violations would extend to irregular street sellers, while cars from the wealthy continue to go without fines.

Rothveasna said that fines would double after 30 days if not paid, and triple after 60 days. After 90 days, a lawsuit would directly be sent to court.

Contact author: Khouth Sophak Chakrya
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Parking crackup

Post by hanno »

Mun Ya, 38, a food vendor on Sothearos Boulevard, said she worried the crackdown on parking violations would extend to irregular street sellers, while cars from the wealthy continue to go without fines.
She nailed it!!! And what about all the cars without license plates.

If you find the medicine, can I have some?
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Surely they don't have a computerised licencing system now, do they? Is it multi lingual, what about cops who cant read English? It sounds like a scam to me like those bomb detectors sold to the Thais by a scammer.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What are the parking laws? Pretty much nobody knows how to park, they are either 1.5 meters from the curb or straddling it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

One could make serious money at any market in one morning.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

This only works if you have the new plate with the QR code, like the new licenses, right?

This means absolutely anyone can scan your plate with a QR scanner and see your registered address.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm This means absolutely anyone can scan your plate with a QR scanner and see your registered address.

... and go break in because they know you are not home.
You could be next.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:07 am Surely they don't have a computerised licencing system now, do they? Is it multi lingual, what about cops who cant read English? It sounds like a scam to me like those bomb detectors sold to the Thais by a scammer.
They do have a computerised database. Locally, certainly. Part of the reason they told everyone to register their vehicles with the new law. When I got fined they just needed a laptop and my registration card. Probably has less than a quarter of the vehicles in it, but I'm guessing that they'll be sticking up roadblocks again this coming Feb. Run by the proper police. I presume the scanner is so that they can't fuck it up.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm
willyhilly wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:07 am Surely they don't have a computerised licencing system now, do they? Is it multi lingual, what about cops who cant read English? It sounds like a scam to me like those bomb detectors sold to the Thais by a scammer.
They do have a computerised database. Locally, certainly. Part of the reason they told everyone to register their vehicles with the new law. When I got fined they just needed a laptop and my registration card. Probably has less than a quarter of the vehicles in it,

but I'm guessing that they'll be sticking up roadblocks again this coming Feb.

Run by the proper police. I presume the scanner is so that they can't fuck it up.
That's too close to the 2018 elections. They wont want to upset anyone, so let's say Feb 2019
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm This only works if you have the new plate with the QR code, like the new licenses, right?

This means absolutely anyone can scan your plate with a QR scanner and see your registered address.
Doesn't necessarily need a QR code, we've had ANPR cameras on the roads in the UK for 30 years. It's pretty old tech now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic