Cambodian philanthropist Geraldine Cox (Sunrise Cambodia) sues for defamation after Facebook comment

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Cambodian philanthropist Geraldine Cox (Sunrise Cambodia) sues for defamation after Facebook comment

Post by fax »

Not to be confused with semi-retarded, which she has been for a long time.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodian philanthropist Geraldine Cox (Sunrise Cambodia) sues for defamation after Facebook comment

Post by explorer »

fax wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 pm Not to be confused with semi-retarded, which she has been for a long time.
Careful. You will be sued for defamation.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

explorer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:32 am
fax wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 pm Not to be confused with semi-retarded, which she has been for a long time.
Careful. You will be sued for defamation.
Or, more nefariously, some sneaky dog can make your posts just disappear.

it seems to happen quite often w/o any explanation.

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:

(now it seems a good idea is to take screen snaps for posterity)
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Bertros wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:21 am Or, more nefariously, some sneaky dog can make your posts just disappear.
If you say things which are offensive, or personal attacks, expect your posts to disappear. if you do it too much, you may get banned.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
Philanthropist Geraldine Cox reflects on life saving hundreds of children, hands over reins of Cambodian orphanage
By Shari Hams
Posted 12h ago
Before Geraldine Cox gave up her life in Australia to care for hundreds of children in Cambodia, she was living "a hedonistic, materialistic life in Sydney".
The Sydney-based socialite-turned-philanthropist said while she was on a mission to save orphans, they had actually saved her.

"I didn't save the kids, they saved me, my life is so full of joy and love every day," Ms Cox said.
"I had catered for dinner parties, expensive jewellery, first-class flights.
"I never gave to the Red Cross or Salvation Army, everything was about me.
"It wasn't until I saw the plight of children – it was like a bullet to the head."

Now aged 77, Ms Cox – known as 'big mum' – is about to hand over the reins of her orphanage and welfare empire in Cambodia.

She first visited Cambodia in the 1970s at the very beginning of the Vietnam War and was overwhelmed by the number of disadvantaged children.

Soon after she found out she could not conceive children, she returned to Cambodia to help as a volunteer in a children's orphanage in the mid-1990s.
The centre, run by the royal family, was plunged into uncertainty after a bloody coup in 1977.

Ms Cox found herself looking after the orphanage alone and on the wrong side of a highly volatile political war.

The royals notified her in 1998 that they were closing the orphanage and she was left with 70 orphaned children, but nowhere to go or funds to look after them.
"The military overthrew the royal family, I was working for the royals at the time, so my life was really in danger," Ms Cox said.

But she witnessed the inhumane treatment of orphaned children and turned to Prime Minister HE for help.

He offered her Cambodian citizenship as well as 10 hectares of land and buildings rent-free for 50 years, on which to establish a new orphanage.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-16/ ... /101413544
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

What happened with the lawsuit???
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:49 pm
She first visited Cambodia in the 1970s at the very beginning of the Vietnam War and was overwhelmed by the number of disadvantaged children.
I didn't realize the Vietnam War started in the 1970s? :?

The centre, run by the royal family, was plunged into uncertainty after a bloody coup in 1977.
There was no coup in 1977. Only two decades out. :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

explorer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:46 am If you say things which are offensive, or personal attacks, expect your posts to disappear. if you do it too much, you may get banned.
I miss Explorer's mansplanations.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:20 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:49 pm
I didn't realize the Vietnam War started in the 1970s? :?
There was no coup in 1977. Only two decades out. :roll:
You have a point. Take it up with abc Australia news, or Shari Hams who wrote the article:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-16/ ... /101413544
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic