Cambodian philanthropist Geraldine Cox (Sunrise Cambodia) sues for defamation after Facebook comment

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Cambodian philanthropist Geraldine Cox (Sunrise Cambodia) sues for defamation after Facebook comment

Post by willyhilly »

I know something of defamation, it is state law. You only need one person to have read the post to sue successfully. I have a lawyer poised now to ask a Facebook poster for $100,000 as an opener. I just have to find the bastard, but also to prove that the person who like the post is in my state. Minimum cost to go to court around $3500.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Cambodian philanthropist Geraldine Cox (Sunrise Cambodia) sues for defamation after Facebook comment

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

How did Cox know about the comment if was only up for a short time? Was it a tip off?
Not reported for some reason.
See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

this is a landmark case if people can make a defamation case and win>>>>
The founder of children’s charity Sunrise Cambodia has won the first phase of a defamation dispute sparked by a Facebook comment from an Australian law graduate, according to the Canberra Times.

Geraldine Cox brought the defamation suit against student Juanita Zankin, who in February made a comment on a Facebook post by Canberra law firm Ben Aulich and Associates, who had raised funds for Sunrise Cambodia.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/o ... ign=buffer
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 am this is a landmark case if people can make a defamation case and win>>>>
The founder of children’s charity Sunrise Cambodia has won the first phase of a defamation dispute sparked by a Facebook comment from an Australian law graduate, according to the Canberra Times.

Geraldine Cox brought the defamation suit against student Juanita Zankin, who in February made a comment on a Facebook post by Canberra law firm Ben Aulich and Associates, who had raised funds for Sunrise Cambodia.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/o ... ign=buffer
You completely edited out the bit of the report out that said the vexatious argument she was using, and which my op commented on, was thrown out. Well done. :facepalm:
See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

thats what the link is for. do i have to do everything for you??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:59 am thats what the link is for. do i have to do everything for you??
If a jobs worth doing, it's worth getting somebody else to do.
See crook!!!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The defendant in "despised" Geraldine Cox's defamation lawsuit, Juanita Zankin, has started a GoFundMe to raise $50,000:

Juanita's fight for human rights

For anyone who believes in protecting human rights and freedom of speech in the public interest, please help our lovely friend Juanita Zankin pay her legal costs!

In speaking out about Sunrise Cambodia's founder Geraldine Cox on the Facebook page of Canberra law firm Ben Aulich & Associates (which fundraised for the orphanage), Juanita is being sued for defamation by the very same law firm on behalf of Cox.

See the Canberra Times article about the case .

As a young sole parent, Juanita can not afford to cover the costs of the legal fees herself. Your donation will go to paying her legal fees (Cox is seeking damages, aggravated damages, and costs), the first amount of which is already due as she has lost her first round of the defamation case .

Why is Juanita being sued for defamation?

Juanita's 27 word Facebook comment was only visible online to a small audience for 38 minutes before being deleted.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

If it's true, it's not defamation, right?

Surely there's enough noise that could be made to support her position.

Unrelated, but clearly due to the url used, what's this bullshit, CEO?

I'll be inclined to stop looking at ceo news links if you're loading external links with promos
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

epidemiks wrote:If it's true, it's not defamation, right?

Surely there's enough noise that could be made to support her position.

Unrelated, but clearly due to the url used, what's this bullshit, CEO?

I'll be inclined to stop looking at ceo news links if you're loading external links with promos
Haha, yay, it worked! Better on their site than on ours, right? :thumb: You can do whatever you want.

I would hope the defendant wins this easily. I can legally despise Carrot Top's twin sister, so Miss Juanita can presumably legally say she's despised.

So, legally speaking, it doesn't matter if it's "true," it matters if you can prove that it's true.

I also assume that the line she's in trouble for is not that, rather the line about her causing harm.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Barang chgout wrote:She's fucked up! ....Just waiting to be sued now....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Impatiently tapping my fingers....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic