Thinking of working in THailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thinking of working in THailand

Post by hatchelt »

Now then...is it true a person/farang would need a university to work in Thailand?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

saigonjackpot wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:58 amWorst thing is they are these thirdworlders are the enes looking you up and down in the security screen in AUSTRALIA.
1. Your family were also foreigners at one stage..irony.

2. What difference does it make who checks you on the screen?

3. Have you been taking your medication regularly?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

vladimir wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:25 am
saigonjackpot wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:58 amWorst thing is they are these thirdworlders are the enes looking you up and down in the security screen in AUSTRALIA.
1. Your family were also foreigners at one stage..irony.

2. What difference does it make who checks you on the screen?

3. Have you been taking your medication regularly?
Yeah we should just go and put some third world types in charge of security in the west that would be a great idea and while we are at it we could dwell on how developed the country would be if ABOS were still throwing fucking boomerangs at trees.

Fark me dead what planet do you live on?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Yeah we should just go and put some third world types in charge of security in the west that would be a great idea and while we are at it we could dwell on how developed the country would be if ABOS were still throwing fucking boomerangs at trees."

It appears you're running out of countries tn which to be a misfit.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Most Indians in Australia seem to be taxi drivers on 457 visas. There is still some good money here, spoke with a roofer yesterday who is about to start re roofing the sugar storage building. $55 an hour plus super.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Temporary skilled visa! Where does the "Skilled" come into driving a taxi? It would never happen in Thailand.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

AndyKK wrote:Temporary skilled visa! Where does the "Skilled" come into driving a taxi? It would never happen in Thailand.
It has been abused for years.
Apparently skilled workers (for 457 visa) include bus/truck drivers, kitchen hands, hairdressers etc...

It's all about keeping wages down by flooding the workforce.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

UPDATE:::
The Labor Ministry as admitted that laws relating to what jobs should be reserved for Thais are well out of date.
The ministry is therefore in the process of reviewing the 39 occupations to see which ones should be possible for foreigners to do in the future.
He noted that many on the forbidden list Thais did not want to do anyway.
Changing the list would also encourage investment. Investors would be attracted by the possibilities of an easily available and willing labor source.

He cited the construction sector as an area that is particularly out of date. He said that foreigners are only allowed to be laborers but it is not sensible that, for example, they are not allowed to be bricklayers.
He noted that was a dying art in Thailand.

Woranon also announced that 100 job centers are set to be opened nationwide for fifteen days from July 24 to August 7th.
The ministry wants illegal workers to register and be registered by employers. An amnesty has already been announced in Thailand to enable this to happen easily.
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/99 ... e-changes/

so there is hope they will allow Farangs to get wp to roll their own :beer3: :beer3:

Another reason they need to re-evaluate the rules is to allow non thai's to do bar work as Hooters can not find qualified Thai ladies. :stir: :stir:

PLus it seems there might be hope forJamie to work in the LOS
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Now then...is it true a person/farang would need a university to work in Thailand?
Yes, "farangs" are a separate category from "persons" in Thailand, so your line of thinking is correct.

Anyway, I assume you mean to "legally work in Thailand" and "have a university degree".

For teaching with a work permit, I am pretty sure you need at least a bachelor's degree in something. For other jobs, I think it depends on the employer.

The main thing you need is an employer who can sponsor your application for permission to work in a position other than those on the list. That's why so many are teachers.

I'm sure that some people must be doing some other type of work.

Anybody know of someone who has a work permit in Thailand but isn't a teacher.

Starting your own business is a totally different process. No degree required but loads of expendable finances is a necessity.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

The thing is, most schools and universities in Thailand don't give a rat's *ss about work permits. They would rather pay you cheap than go through all the rigmarole of paying for a WP. If they get caught, they will deny knowing you. This I got from authentic teachers with WPs. I am NOT a teacher. In fact, i don't work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic